Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone played an Aero split-coil (P) pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bino, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm looking for a great P-tone, but with more punch and clearer lows than the other boutique vintage pickups give. The Aero J's give this, so I'm curious about their P.

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    so what are you trying to say?

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    What I meant was, the Aero's will probably sound great!

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    you lawyers and your double-talk. LOL

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    What do you include with other boutique pickups? I would assume Nordstrand, Lindy Fralin, and maybe Bartolini. If vintage tone isn't a necessity, a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder (not boutique, I know) might work for you, because it has truckloads of punch and a clear, powerful low end. It's not as middy as your typical P-bass pickup.

I have Duncan's SPB-2 Hot for P-bass, which has more of a vintage vibe and also very high output. I think it's great. Its lows are clearer than those from the stock Fender, but it sounds like you probably want even more clarity down there, and might not like its heavy low-mid emphasis.

6. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Trouble is, I like the mid and high range emphasis on vintage style pickups. But they tend to be softer in the lows and with lower output than I'd like. So far, I prefer the Fralin out of the ones you've listed. The Fender isn't as clear and the Nordstrand is bigger and smoother than I want. I'm wondering if the Aero P will clean up like their jazz pickups.