Has anyone played any famous bass players bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angelo, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Whos was it?How did it sound?feel?
  2. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    You mean like, their personal instrument?
  3. Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
  4. i played bill dickens' 7 string. it was after a clinic, and i walked up to him and asked "how heavy is that thing anyway?" and he said "why don't you give it a try?"

so i picked it up and fumbled around incompetently for a while. he asked me to play some chili peppers (which he heard me playing earlier before the thing started) which i messed up totally because i got lost on the seven strings. man, that was embarrassing. nice guy, though.
  5. Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Cool story.Thanks.
  6. I didn't actually play it, but I did happen up on Billy Cox fine tuning his Cort signature prototype.
    It was in a Nashville Pawn shop called Capitol Pawn, that I think he used to own interest in.
    He was very personable and we had a nice conversation about Hendrix and music in general.
  7. How about Chris Squire's legendary Rickenbacker? If that counts, then yes, I have. :D

I was lucky enough to be hired to play double bass in the orchestra for Yes' Toronto show last August.

In the afternoon Chris' bass tech let me strap on the bass and even took a picture of me with it. Unfortunately, the amps weren't up and running at that point so I had to play it unplugged, but I can hardly complain, can I? It felt like a Rick I guess.

It was a very cool experience, but not half as cool as actually playing with Yes that evening, especially considering they are among my top three favourite bands (along in with Tull and Genesis).

One of these days I'll scan the photo for you guys but my ex has the scan (I just need to actually pick it up one day...maybe in the next few weeks).
  8. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I play mine all the time and it's, well, oh so way cool!
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I have played both of Michael Manring's Hyperbasses. He has one strung like a regular bass and the other has piccolo strings. I felt that the lower horn was a little too narrow to reach the extended fretboard notes. It seemed to work fine for Michael, though. The tone was pretty good. Pretty much the standard Zon tone.

I have also played three of Kai Eckhardt's Hotwire 5. Not much to say. Feels and sounds like a good Jazz bass. I also played his Fretless Coura bass, which felt and sounded amazing (through Kai's Glockenklang gear) And is pictured on Kai's BP feature. FInally, I played his Clover Slapper 5, which he's pictured with in McLaughlin's Live in Sydney CD. He's had that converted to a 5-string piccolo (low B) SOunds really nice. I also played a 6 string hollowbody Ken Bebensee (?) fretless 6 he's got, and I remember it being quite nice, but that's it.
  10. A couple of Patrick Dalheimer's (Live) Laklands, I guess they were Bob Glaub models....
  11. chrisbs

Jan 12, 2002
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Off the top of my head... Scott Ambush, Gary Willis and Matt Garrison. There's more.
  13. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Several years ago when Jason Newstead was shopping around for new basses (Sadowsky and Lakland were building prototypes for him), I played a candy apple red Lakland at the factory that was being shipped out to him the next day. He ended up going with Sadowsky, but I'm counting this as a "famous person's bass". ;)
  14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Well, first I had to buy it from him.

James Martin
  15. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Rob Grange (Ted Nugent) let me play his brand new Alembic the day he bought it.
    Got to play the first 12-string bass Hamer made for Tom Petersson.
    My Epiphone Embassy was not only owned by Tom Petersson, but also Jon Brandt, who replaced him in Cheap Trick.
  16. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001

that bass is incredible. do you play it a lot, or is it more a "collector's piece" that you have on display? just curious.
  17. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i played jeff berlin's bass for about two seconds when he gave a clinic in indianapolis. he was pushing his peavey basses at the time (early 90's)
  18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Geez! Did you break into his house or something?!
  19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i gave Mark Egan a ride from LAX to my producer/director/friend's house years ago.

got to play his 8 string Pedulla.

oh yeah, it wasn't 2 weeks after that i got my first 4 string BUZZ!

20. I've played Peter Steele's (Type O Negative) Esh. It was basicaaly everything I'd ever wanted in a bass.