Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone played both the Ampeg 412 and the Marshall 412??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thumbman, Jan 29, 2006.

1. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey,

Just looking for people who have played both the ampeg 412 HE and the marshall VBC 412.
    What are they like in comparison to each other?
    is one louder, does one growl more, is one better built, does one have a mid scoop...etc, etc.

Also to the people who have played the ampeg, the ampeg site says it has "removable castors" is this 4 castors like a guitar cab or 2 like most other ampegs?

Any other info about either of these that would help me decide would be great.

Thanks

2. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    help....please. :crying: i need help in choosing a cab
    haha

3. I dont't know much about the Marshall but I have played the Ampeg 412. the ampeg has 4 casters as you described and is not a tilt back cab like the 610 or 810. If you are after an old school Geezer Butler type tone then it is perfect. It was hard fo me to choose between the two, very similiar tone the 412 has a bit more midrange (not saying the 610 is scooped but the 412 had more) and if the speakers were stacked like the Aguilar 412 then I probably would have gone with that becasue I want a taller cab to hear myself better....if I had enough cash and space I would have gone with 2 4x12 cabs, that with a 200-300 watt tube amp would be an insane rig.

Although a 610 + 412 would make for an interesting set up too...with a Bassman 300 pro on the way for me I may just have to try it one day se if I can bring down a small country.:bassist:

4. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    cool...

Yeh i'm currently running the 410 HLF and i think its too scooped for my purposes.
    I take it the marshall will be pretty Middy as well...but right now unless someone tells me otherwise i assume the ampeg 412 would be a better constructed more professional sounding box...