1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone played Martin's Alternative X Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass-shy, Jan 22, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have only seen one at a local music shop and I really like the way it feels and sounds, but I'm not sure about the viability of the aluminum top. I own a Martin DCX1E guitar, which shares the same "HPL" back and sides and Stratabond neck, but it has a spruce top. In my experience, spruce ages well and the sound tends to warm up as the instrument ages, and I realize that aluminum won't. My concerns however, are: will the aluminum's tonal qualities degrade over time, and (if necessary), will a luthier be able to repair this ABG, should damage occur? Any thoughts would be great.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I play one everytime I go into the local shop. The tone is very clear and full. The neck is a little thick for me, but still very playable. It's f'n sweet, but it better be for a little over $1K...

I'm not crazy about the top, though. :meh:

3. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    I don't think the tone will change appreciably over time. I'm sure that - if they were ever required - repairs to the top/body interface could be handled by any competent technician with some epoxy in his arsenal...

My drummer has an alternative X ( 6-string) and he claims its INDESTRUCTABLE. He takes it everywhere, (leaving his nice rosewood Martin safely at home!) - in fact he just brought it back from 2 weeks in the Maldives, where Sun, Surf, Tsunami, All-Inclusive open bar and hordes of wild Bunny rabbits failed to damage it in the least....

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Good to know! Thanks for the comments. If the Alternative X is half as cool at twice the price of my DCX1E, It should be pretty sweet. Now all I have to do is convince my wife as to just how cool it is.......