Has anyone played Martin's Alternative X Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass-shy, Jan 22, 2005.

1. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I have only seen one at a local music shop and I really like the way it feels and sounds, but I'm not sure about the viability of the aluminum top. I own a Martin DCX1E guitar, which shares the same "HPL" back and sides and Stratabond neck, but it has a spruce top. In my experience, spruce ages well and the sound tends to warm up as the instrument ages, and I realize that aluminum won't. My concerns however, are: will the aluminum's tonal qualities degrade over time, and (if necessary), will a luthier be able to repair this ABG, should damage occur? Any thoughts would be great.
  2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I play one everytime I go into the local shop. The tone is very clear and full. The neck is a little thick for me, but still very playable. It's f'n sweet, but it better be for a little over $1K...

I'm not crazy about the top, though. :meh:
  3. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    I don't think the tone will change appreciably over time. I'm sure that - if they were ever required - repairs to the top/body interface could be handled by any competent technician with some epoxy in his arsenal...

My drummer has an alternative X ( 6-string) and he claims its INDESTRUCTABLE. He takes it everywhere, (leaving his nice rosewood Martin safely at home!) - in fact he just brought it back from 2 weeks in the Maldives, where Sun, Surf, Tsunami, All-Inclusive open bar and hordes of wild Bunny rabbits failed to damage it in the least....
  4. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Good to know! Thanks for the comments. If the Alternative X is half as cool at twice the price of my DCX1E, It should be pretty sweet. Now all I have to do is convince my wife as to just how cool it is.......