Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone put a sadowsky pre in their Fender J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I was thinking about trying this. Buying the sadowsky on board preamp and pickups and installing them in my new fender J? I think the only problem would be to drill the hole on the outside for the intrument cable. Is it worth it in sound? Is it hard to drill this hole for the intrument cable on the outer edge like sadowsky does?

Thanks

2. Would it not be better to use the outboard Sadowsky preamp? That way you dont do any mods. I once had a Sad. preamp for my standard Fender Jazz, but now I've experienced J-retro, I would rather use that, AND, it's also available in an outboard box, or as a straight drop in, no mods. Just my opinion.

3. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    How does the J-retro differ form the Sadowsky? I just though that I would go ahead and make my Jazz bass a bad ass one. I can not seem to find any other bass I like so I just thouth to put the best pickups and preamp in it. I have never played a sadowsky or something with a J-retro in it either. I have only played my 75 Jazz and a new fender J. I just thought to put the sadowsky stuff in a new Ja would be pretty kicking!!:cool:

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

My advice would be to get a Sadowsky preamp/DI pedal. Put it on the floor. Run all your basses through it, passive and active. Awesome. I wouldn't modify your bass. Kills resale. Eventually save up for a Sadowsky J Bass. They are the best basses overall you'll own

Rob

5. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

just listen to marcus miller for an example. He has a sadowsky pre-amp in his J (or so he says).

6. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    well I do not plan on selling it. I plan on playing it the rest of my life. I want a J I can play live and retire my 75 J just for recording and such. I just think that this would make for a bad ass J bass. It is not that much to do. You can order the preamp for aound $200.00 and the pickups for around another $150.00 I think. The hardest part would be to drill the new hole on the outer edge for the new 1/4" instrument cable. How could that be done?

7. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
  8. You might check Harmony Central for product reviews. They can be helpful albeit not the be all and end all . Also, I think Roger Sadowsky can e-mail you a file of owner's comments.

9. Actually, you can download the file from the website, I believe.

Get the stomp box DI.

Rogers pickups are excellent, but if you are happy with the ones you have it may be better to spend your money on something else.

The J retro differs from the Sadowsky in being a completely different animal. The Sadowsky is there to tighten up and warm up sound, reduce loading effects and give some top and bass boost (which most people don't seem to use!). The J retro is a tone shaping machine.