Has anyone quit the amp for a Preamp pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Jul 1, 2017.

1. I've been thinking. I'm going to be moving into a apartments in a couple months for school and won't be bringing my amp with me. In fact I won't be bringing much more than a bass. With the emergence of DI pedals with brand specific pre amps built in would it be logical to have a pedal going straight into the house or the recording interface if I'm trying to minimize my footprint and the gear I have to carry around on a bike or public transport?

What pedals do this well? Is it logical?

2. You will find a lot of us that have, myself I use several different solutions but there are so many it all depends on what your preferences are. For bass I am using a Zoom B3 or MS60B for amp models and for guitar an AdrenaLinn III.

Stellvia and bassestkkm like this.
  3. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    If you don't need to have an actual amp, there's little reason to spend the cash on the whole equation if you just need a part. There's a ton of great preamps out there, depends on what kind of tone, what features you need, how much you want to spend, etc. From the $120ish Tech21 BDDI to the $1000 Noble and Verellens

bassestkkm likes this.
  4. I was hoping to keep it within a few hundred bucks. I'm thinking flexibility is key. I play jazz and blues, funk and metal, rock and pop. Of course those aren't the pairings of genres but the styles I hit. I'm not so concerned about the brand as I am the flexibility of the EQ. I want the knobs to have changes in the trequemcies so I guess something's not with a good EQ is a must for me.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I have been using mostly pedal preamps for 15+ years. I tried combos and heads but I prefer using separate preamps.
    I started with a BDDI into PA active cabs.
    Then I moved toward dedicated bass powered cabs, EBS AC300 and for some years now Bergantino IP112ER.
    Currently the preamps I use the most are the Zoom B3 and Ampeg SCR-DI, also the Fishman Platinum for acoustic instruments.
    Pedal preamps are at least as valuable as preamps from heads and often offer a lot more.
    It is good to have a mean of amplification under the form of good active PA cabs when you need it.

bassestkkm likes this.
  6. Thanks for that
    I've heard the Zoom B3 names quite a few times along with the Ampeg. I guess I'll have to do some listening and hopefully give a few things a try.

7. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    IMO I have a pretty awesome amp (1001RB-ii), and pretty awesome cab (F115) that slay live.

But when it comes time to record, they stay home. For lower budget pre-pro or band produced recordings, I just use my Stingray 5 into my Tech 21 VTDI right into the interface.

In an actual studio with a pro sound engineer I likely wont even pull out my VTDI - as then it's either a selection of the studios choice vintage gear, or right into the console with plugins.

Not hauling more gear than you need, even when it's readily available, is entirely logical. :thumbsup:

Quick edit after re-read the OP: while for recording I never use my personal amp, I'm not yet ready to leave it home for live work. Too many venues in my area have awesome FOH systems and extremely poor monitors. In-ears would solve that, but it would also add an additional level of complexity that I'm also not ready for.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I've always preferred a separate preamp; cheapest way to satisfy my GAS. I've played in a few different bands, and using a preamp pedal has given me flexibility. Right now I'm using a GK Plex (my favorite heads are GK and Genz-Benz). I find the Plex to be very flexible, great sounding and Bob Gallien is on TB quite a bit; he's great with questions and suggestions. He takes TB feedback very seriously. I'm also a big fan of the MXR M80, well built, flexible and remarkably cheap. I recently picked up a Quilter Bass Block, run it flat and drive it with the Plex or M80. You've got a lot to choose from and a pretty wide range of prices.

9. Made the switch about 6 years ago with a eden navigator pre and havent turned back. I just recently switched to a mesa subway pre and just run my pedal board to slim down even more. I have never been happier with my tone. I get the same sound on stage they get front of house. Consistant sound with simple, efficient, quick setup and tear down its pretty hard to beat.

10. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Yep, my favorite DI pedal so far is the MXR M-81. Very clean, nice EQ. I use Zoom MS-60B for effects and tuner. You could probably get away with just the Zoom, since it has amp models, and have 1/4" to XLR cable for house DI. Also, I have a small mixer that I can run this and a laptop/mp3 player to and headphones out. Or you could get a Zoom B1on, which also has aux in and you could run headphones straight out of that. I just like the format of the MS 60B better. I also like to front this setup with different dirt pedals on occasion, but not necessary. I like the mixeer setup better because I can instantly adjust levels when different songs are at different volume levels.

11. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I've been running exclusively IEM for a year or two now. Don't regret it one bit. I use a Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe, which gives me 3 different tones on two separate channels, as I also use it as an A/B box with my bass guitar and my Roland Gaia synth. For everything it does, it's paid for itself multiple times over.

12. I'm another who avoids amps whenever I can. Started with the Behringer BDI21.Don't let the low price put you off it's a great DI pedal. Slightly more expensive is the Moen Bass Buffalo, this one adds sweepable mids and has a headphone socket. Other preamps I use are the Dr J Sparrow,Hartke Bass Attack,Eden WTDI and the Fishman Platinum Pro.

Latest one I've been playing with is the Harley Benton Bass Expander from Thomann in Germany. Headphone socket and line in for silent home practise. Runs on phantom power if you have it. sweepable mids and a compressor. With delivery to the States it's probably $120 - $130. Great bit of kit :thumbsup:

13. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    If you budget us a few hundred bucks, I'd look at the Two Notes Le Bass. Two channel tube DI/preamp, with the option to stack or blend the two channels which gives you a ton of tonal flexibility. Also has a built-in effects loop if you decide to add more pedals down the line.

XLunacy and joshmmorrison like this.
  14. I'm currently running: Vt bass deluxe, Two Notes Le Bass, Darkglass Vintage Ultra

I've previously run: Vt Bass (v1), Sansamp BDDI, MXR

I've absolutely fallen in love with the Le Bass. It has a real tube, so it reacts the way a tube does. You can drive it or keep it real clean and full. The two channels or the blended one give a ton of versatility. The speaker sim helps when playing in a live situation. By far one of my single most favored pedals on my board. Plus, it's between $200-250.

bassestkkm likes this.