Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has Anyone Recorded with SWR IOD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tapp, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I'm going into the studio next week and was wondering if any of you IOD owners have recorded direct using the IOD as a preamp?

I usually like a mic'd cab for recording but I may go simple this time direct.

Any suggestions on settings, etc??

thanks,

Tapp

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i have - alot.

either go here

or wait about two weeks and check out the new Phat Phunktion CD.

or wait a month and go to www.angelmagicmusic.com and get the ryan meisel quartet cd.

it records INCREDIBLY well. so well - that on the new PP cd, even though everything else is filtered, processed, etc - my bass is COMPLETELY FLAT the whole time. and the tone is, IMO, massive.

3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hey,

Glad I checked out your MP3's. You've got some cool lines. But, the IOD definately didn't make the kind of sound I thought it would. Kinda farty sounding. Reminds me of the distortion on an old Bass Rockman I have. Anyway, I'm looking for a preamp and was considering the IOD. Guess I'll keep hunting.

Thanks for taking the time to offer some recordings.

Kurt

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just to warn you, the recording of the "full drive" isn't recorded right, it freaked out my soundcard and caused it add a different distortion that isn't normally there.

the best thing about the distortion on this thing is that you can blend it so you still have your full signal running along side the distorted one - great in live situations where you need the bottom.

5. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    So Jason, did you go direct out out of the IOD DI Out or Line Out? Or did you just mic your rig?

I'm planning to just go Line Out (rather than DI Out) to the console so I get "ALL" of the tube pre and the EL84's going. I guess I'll have to watch the volume/pad with this since it sends such a hot signal.

Thanks for any other suggestions too!!

Tapp

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yup, i went with the direct out. no point having those EL84's there if you're not using them!!!

it's the easiest pre to get a good sound out of i've ever played. you'll be very impressed.

<patiently waiting to get mine back from the shop AGAIN> :mad: