Has anyone relocated for a job?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Apr 5, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    As some of you know, I just graduated from college at the end of January. (We were on a weird schedule.) As of yet, I have not found my "career" job, and have been working two part-time jobs to pay the bills.

One of my former teachers emailed me today about a potential job opportunity that would offer excellent benefits, pretty decent pay, and lots of potential as far as advancement goes.

The only downside? I'm pretty sure it's in Pasadena.

The engineering firm in question has done a lot of big projects, and the fact that they are looking for people in my field of expertise (architectural and environmental acoustics) means that this is an opporunity that is pretty lucrative for me.

Is it worth it, however, to move across the country, away from my family, friends, and the girl I might marry?

Please note that I have not even called about the job yet. The opening might even be in one of the numerous other offices they have around the country. I'm just wondering what experiences other people have had in similar situations.
  2. I've had to make big moves twice in my job so far. I like it as it keeps it interesting. Luckily I found my future wife already, so future moves are no biggie. I've lived away from my family for 6 years and it's not a big deal. There's always holidays and the phone. New friends can also be made.

I don't know, I guess you'll have to think hard about whether this job is worth it.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    When my wife and I were still dating, the company I was working for got bought by a bigger company who wanted to move us to Dallas/Ft Worth. My wife was a senior in college at the time and pursuing a triple major. She dropped one of the majors so she could graduate that year and moved down a couple months after I did.

It was weird. We're liberal bordering on raging hippy, and we moved to suburban Texas. In retrospect I wish I'd tried for a different job elsewhere. But I like to think that it was a good move to have made.

There are worse places than Pasadena, and it's hard to really make any decisions without knowing what's going on. Talk to your future wife and see what she has to say. Talk to your family. Find out more information.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Potential future wife. There's a lot in my life that's up in the air. ;)
  5. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'm graduating college this may, and I live in a pretty small area with very little potential for a really satisfying career in my field (Philosophy) so I'm most definitely going to have to move. I've been wondering what kind of places I might go for... a city relatively close to home, or go all out and move across the country? A city near the ocean? Near mountains? I want a good view. A clean area with low crime is a must. As a musician, I'm also hoping to move somewhere with a decent scene, just so I don't have to completely abandon my dreams of making it in music some day.

My thing is, I'm expecting a baby in Nov or Dec, and that will put a damper on the distance I can move away, because a baby is a handful enough with loads of close family around to help, let alone if we moved away and were completely on our own.

Sorry I can't offer any advice... I'm more or less just empathizing with you because I am in the same situation.

6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I haven't found a job yet and I graduated in December. So far, most of the interviews I've had were for fields totally unrelated to mine (geography). Jobs are out there in my field, but nothing at entry level. I'm thinking I just might find some kind of job that I can pay the bills and loans with and live semi-comfortably. I also think that while I'm doing this I'll go for a GIS certificate from PSU's "World Campus." Maybe by then things will have opened up a bit.
  7. you could move where i live...it's a five minute drive from the ocean and you can see mountains on clear days...
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am facing this same possibility. I am not looking forward to it either.

9. I graduated from college 24 years ago. Almost every one of my job changes (new job or internal change) has required relocation.

So in 24 years I've gone from Arizona to Louisiana then to Texas then to Virginia then to South Carolina then to France then back to South Carolina then to Oklahoma and now to Nashville. I've been in Nashville almost 8 years now and that's the longest I've lived in one place since childhood. It sucks, for the most part.

Lately I've passed on applying for a couple of internal promotions, simply because I didn't want to move again. Which may mean that my career with this company is doomed....

Someone at work asked a rhetorical question: "do you want to live where you work, or work where you live?" In other words, do you want to follow one company around the world, or stay in your particular city and change companies to get promoted?
  10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    A move can be a good thing. I lived in Arizona, got a job offer in Oregon, took it and moved my family (wife and 3 year old son at the time) in a 2 week period leaving my Father and many family members behind for a better life. That was 5 years ago and would do it again. Sometimes you just have to grab life by the horns.

I grew up in Pasadena for the first 18 years of my life and would move back there if a job offered happened. There is a great music scene and lots to do.

I'd take it. Your young, you should branch out while you can.
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I would find it awfully limiting if I would only take opportunities when they'd show up near my door.

A year before, I moved 400 miles for my studies. Althought everything hasn't been that easy nor pleasant and I'm still not complitely happy, I'm still glad I took the chance. If nothing else, it gives me pride in that I have had courage to alter my life.

I'd say, don't settle anything less than what is best for you.
  12. I do agree that when you're young, relocating can be good. I definately don't regret the year and a half I lived in France, but I was in my late 20's then.

Now that I'm in my mid 40's, it's much harder to pull up the tent stakes and head on down the road......
  13. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    upon graduating college I worked for IBM in Eau Claire, WI. Then I changed jobs to a start up in St. Paul MN (1 hour away from Eau Claire, not too far). Unfortunately due to unemployment I have been force back to central WI :(
  14. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Hey I'm from Central IL, and if I had your situation upon graduating college, I would have gone west. I wouldn't exactly call this a "maybe next year" type of opportunity, either. In addition, the longer you stick around one place, the harder it will be to relocate. I moved around right after finishing college and I'm glad I did...Now I'm married w/3 kids and they now keep me in one place, but I still have memories and stories about the other places I was able to experience before settling down.
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm relocating because of a job myself at the end of the month. I'm pretty excited about it, looking forward to being in a new city and state, with totally new climate and topography/geography, doing a new job with a company that I have only dreamed of working for.

Everyone is different, but I look at it as a chance to get a new start in a new place, and meet new friends. That doesn't mean your friends and family will disappear from your life, unless you LET them!

Bottom line: I think it's all about attitude, you can either fear it and loathe the moving hassles (which are indeed not fun!), or look at it as an adventure, and enjoy the ride.
  16. that's a hard one, but Pasadena sounds pretty cool.

If you really find no joy in where you live now & you are not totally reliant on your family. I would jump to go.

I left my hometown of Utica, NY (one of the most undesirable places to live in the USA depressing, crime-ridden, dilapidated, high taxes........armpit of the USA) in 1999. I was nervous because I got along well with my family & I never left before.

At first leaving I missed everyone but I knew there was no future for me or my wife there, living paycheck to paycheck because the economy was so bad there all they could draw in were telemarketing & insurance processing jobs.

Now things are MUCH better. We had some struggles but I would do it over again without hesitation. I live in Napa, CA right near SF. Economy here is better, no snow, sunny, lots to do within an hour of my house. Family is only an airplane ride or phone call away. I also lived near Seattle, another great area to live.

Sure I still miss everyone & love to see them, but I also understand I have my own family to care for, my own life to live.
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    look at teh bright side...

2 hours from me!

18. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I've relocated cross-country several times during the past 10 years, with the most current move taking place last October (Boston -> Seattle)

Without exception it's been an unexpected treasure to learn the ins/outs of a completely different part of the country. I have numerous friends in several fantastic cities (New Orleans, Nashville, Los Angeles, Boston, etc ...) that I continue to keep in touch with regularly and visit occasionally when work/vacation takes me that way.

If I had chosen to decline my first relocation offer, I would have missed out on all of this.

19. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if your family and friends do not understand that you need to do this, then i dont know what to say.

if my job said we are moving, and its going to cali, and if you want the job, its yours. i'd be there in a heart beat.

if your girl truely loves you, she will understand and move with you.

besides, its california. as much as i hate california, i'd rather be in california then ILL
  20. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Ever relocated due to a job....hmmm...let me see...

West Yorkshire (UK) to South Wales (UK) 1986
    South Wales to Paris 1991
    Paris to Edinburgh 1995
    Edinburgh to South Wales 1997
    South Wales to Edinburgh 1997
    Edinburgh to New York 2001
    New York to Dublin 2003

Now was it all worth it ? I really don't know, I think that only you can answer that one. It all depends upon what you value in life. If you want to continue to live in an area in which you know then probably not, if your happy to accept new challenges and are OK about living somewhere where you won't know anybody for at least a while then probably.

I've definitely seen the positives (career progression, I've seen a lot of places that other people won't have done etc) and the negatives (try when your kids come out with something like ' it's not worth getting to know anybody here as you'll only move once we make friends again') and don't particularly regret anything, but now know that I'm not moving again.

If you need to do it, then early in your life is the right time to do it. It definetely gets harder (my kids went through 4x curriculum in 4 different countires in around 2 years once) when you get older.

If you can do it without too much disruption then take it for what it is, as it's unlikely to be irreversible and sometimes it's better to sit back and regret what you've done than regret what you've not done.