Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone replaced the bridge on an mia jazz deluxe?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shortfuse, Jul 31, 2002.

1. shortfuse

shortfuse

May 3, 2002
    The only bridge I can think of that might work that has the same number of screw holes and a string thru body option is the carvin/hipshot bridge. Has anyone replaced this fender bridge? thanks

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    May I ask why you wish to replace it?

3. shortfuse

shortfuse

May 3, 2002
    I wan't to replace it because I don't like how each saddle has a number of grooves for adjustable string spacing. The E string is so much bigger than the slot that it seems like a deeper groove in the saddle would be more stable. I tried taperwound strings and they sounded worse than regular strings on the bridge. The E string also doesn't sound as clean as the other strings no matter what height I put the saddle at. Its really not that bad right now but if I new of a bridge that I could install without mods like the carvin/hipshot bridge, I would definitely give it a try. Its only like $45. I'd try it just out of curiosity if it fit right.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I had an MIA JD5 which, of course, had a B string, which is much larger than an E string, with the same grooved saddles that you have mentioned. I never once had any issues with the stability of the B or E strings. They are afterwall, because of the through body feature, breaking over that saddle piece at nearly a 90 degree angle. I assure you, they aren't going anywhere.

The lack of clarity in your E string isn't likely to improve with a new bridge either.

But it is, afterall your bass and your $54.98, so if you want to put a Carvin bridge on it, I would suggest dropping an e-mail to the folks at carvin. They have a web mail interface here:
    http://www.carvin.com/contact.html

Ask them for the center-to-center distance between the holes in the bridge as well as the distance from the holes to the back edge of the bridge.

You also need to know where the strings exit the bridge to insure you can line it up with the existing ferrules without goofing up the scale length of the bass.

Or you could just ask "will this bridge retrofit an MIA jazz and allow continued use of the string-through-body feature?" They are probably familiar enough with Fender's stuff to answer that.

Carvin has always been most helpful IME. I would expect a quick response.

Chas