Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone seen a black ibanez BTB 515?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vampirejR3, Nov 19, 2004.

1. vampirejR3

vampirejR3

Sep 23, 2000
    San Deigo, CA
    I have a transparent black Ibanez BTB 515. I'm trying to figure out if it's a 1999 or a 2000 model, but so far I have not been able to even find a picture of on online, or anyone who has ever seen one. If you have any info please let me know. THanks!

2. i didnt even know there was a btb515, ive played the btb405qm and liked it but do they sound they same?

3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have a BTB 505wnf, which is a 5-sting. The "wnf" stants for walnut flat, which is the color. It's a light brown stain on the swamp ash body.I bought it in January of 2000, and it is a 99 model. The serial number starts F99, so maybe the 99 is the year. I think they only made them out of swamp ash for 2 years and then started with the quilted maple.

Edit: Yes, I have seen one in black.

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    To my ear, the older model with the swamp ash body and no top sounds "warmer" with less treble.

Edit: I just found out that the 515 has a mahogany body. Above, I was talking about my 505 w/ swamp ash.

5. vampirejR3

vampirejR3

Sep 23, 2000
    San Deigo, CA
    i have no idea if the 405qm and my 515 sound the same...but i think they have the same pickups, ibanez soapbars (not really sure what kind...)

6. vampirejR3

vampirejR3

Sep 23, 2000
    San Deigo, CA
    cool thanks. I bought mine in april 2000 so i bet it is a 99

7. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
  8. i tryed to do a search on the ibanez website. it brought up a url for it but it doesnt work, post a pic if u can, ive probably seen it.