1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone seen anything like this? Fender Custom??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Gibson, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Hey!

I came across this at a tiny hole in the wall place, and it's really interesting. I can't tell if it's a true custom or an overpriced frankenbass.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405386123.298410.

It's described on their site as follows:
    "Fender Jazz/P Custom with Kubicki Fretless Fender Tele Style Neck, $1,899."

It also has a drop tuner on the E.

What do you guys think? True custom, and possible diamond in the rough find, or overpriced frankenbass?

Thanks,
    James

2. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405386342.114718.

3. Check the serial number, put it into the Guitar Dater Project, and see how old it is. Then, Google the year plus "jazz bass tele neck" and see whether it matches any special models from that year.

If no match, it's probably just a frankenbass.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I would be very hesitant to pay that much money for that without documentation to accompany it. It could be one of Phil's creations, but I doubt it.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I think I'd buy the Vox bass!

6. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Call Fender with the serial number and let us know what they say.

7. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Check the serial number, if it doesn't check out, go back and buy the vox bass, but only buy the vox if it's English.

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Nothing about that looks right.

9. I call BS!

10. Looks like a Kubicki parts bass. He used to make necks and bodies back in the day. I put together a couple basses with his parts. Good stuff, but that looks way over priced. Serial numbers (if there even are any) won't help you.

11. My first instinct is frankenfender.

SanDiegoHarry and Fuzzbass like this.
  12. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    I would almost lay money down that it's not a real Fender. Even if it were, that's a STEEEEEP price to pay. I'd rather get a top of the line Stingray Classic 4.

Jay Mastro likes this.
  13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Parts bass. Not many Fender parts, except maybe the bridge, string retainer, and de-fretted neck. If it sounds good, is in good shape, and you can knock $850-$1000 off the price, it could be a deal.

14. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Thats a nasty fretless job.. Some very nasty fill job from the old frets by the looks of it

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  15. Thanks so much for the info guys. The only serial the shop owner was able to find was on the neckplate, which I feel like can't reflect the age of the whole bass, in the unlikely event that it's not a frankenbass.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1405451987.716018.

It says 627348.

I'm not sure of anyway to date an instrument by the neckplate.

16. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    The neck plate is probably a legit 1975ish Fender neck plate.

The body is possibly Fender but refinished and modified with a non-Fender pickguard and bridge and electronics which would have to have been filled in the cavity. Highly doubt anyone would go that far and you'd probably be able to tell just by looking unless the person did a perfect job. The pickups look like old Dimarzios.

The neck decal looks applied and not original Fender. As someone said, the fret fill looks amateur.

17. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Not even the neck is right. The heel end isn't squared off like a Tele neck should be. I don't think anything about that bass is Fender.

18. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    $1899 doesn't even get you strings centred on the fretboard, is the G actually hanging off the side of the neck? That body doesn't look like a Fender shape I've ever seen before. As Dio said, "Just turn your head and walk away!"

19. Jay Mastro

Jay Mastro

Jun 23, 2014
    New York
    Stingray Classic 4 is beautiful, I just got my first Stingray last week, now I really really want a Stingray Classic 5, Classic body, 5 strings, I couldn't ask for more!

20. To be fair, I played it and didn't notice anything weird about the string spacing. I have 3 other American Fenders, and this one didn't seem too weird.