Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone seen one of these before?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave120, Jul 30, 2005.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I'm trying to find out whatever I can about this amp, but I can't find any information ANYWHERE. This is the amp my uncle used in my dad's band back in the 70's. I took it to a local place to repair because it needed a new cap job and some resistors were bad after I pulled it out of a shed where it had been sitting for about 20 years. The guy fixed it all up, installed a 3 prong power cord and it works great now and it's actually the amp I use in my band right now. He said it's got about 100 watts of output, but I'm not sure if that's at 8 or 4 ohms. Right now I'm running it through an 8 ohm 4x10 and it gets pretty loud. At rehearsal I only turn it up to about 4.5 and it's easily heard, and we have a really loud drummer. At 5 they tell me to turn it down. I can't imagine that it would be that loud with only 100 watts, but I could be wrong? I'm just wondering if anybody has seen anything like this before. It's from the late 60's-early 70's.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Anybody? I guess this thing is one of a kind or something. The only identification of it is a tag that says Clearwater, FL and has a serial number. I'm wondering if it's a custom job by someone that's probably out of business now or something.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Does it have tubes in it?

4. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Nope it's solid state

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...wow...this is "nuttier than a squirels terd"...

~S~

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    It could be like one of those rare, hand-made, Dumble guitar amps that go for big bucks. I'd guess that a bass head like that is worth $10,000-$15,000 or so. ;)

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Let me guess, you found it in your grandfather's shed, where it had been for about 30 years? You probablly found a Silvertone twin valve along with it :p . If I recall correctly, I know a guy who used to have one which was passed down in his family... I think it was a decent, mid-range amp for the time. How does it sound?

8. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    That's just scary...actually the Silvertone Twin Twelve was in my Uncle's garage! He used it for his solo gigs for a while after the band was done....my brother uses that right now in our band. It's kinda cool playing hard rock stuff through this classic gear...But yeah this amp was in my grandfather's shed like I said in my first post. The internals needed a lot of work when I first pulled it out but it works great now...sounds really good too. I have no idea how much power it has though. I was told by the guy who fixed it that it has about 100 watts, but it seems to be a lot louder than it would be with only that much power driving an 8 ohm 410. They used to drive 2 15's with it back in the day though and never used a PA for bass back then...and they played to some pretty big crowds.

9. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Tell you what, if you give me $5000 we'll call it a deal! Look at that, over 50% off...don't pass this one up :D

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Looks to me like it might be one of those "kit" amps that were popular back in the day, that you bought in a big box of parts, and soldered/assembled yourself. Not that I'm saying it is such a beast, only that it MIGHT be . . .

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, that was my first thought, too. I can't remember the company name, but you bought all the parts and put the thing together yourself..

12. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    ENDORSING ARTIST: TOBIAS BASSES
  13. wrong link ? I dont think thats an MX-80 DI :p

14. J.T

J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    ENDORSING ARTIST: TOBIAS BASSES
    I knew it was for that...sorry forgot to mention. Just googled the amo name and that was the only return. I just though I would post it since someone else is currently playing one.

15. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Actually that review on using the M-80 with it is from me :D

Yeah I google and can't find anything on it at all. I don't believe it was a kit amp because my dad said he bought it new from somewhere, just doesn't remember where.

Very interesting...I guess I'm gonna hang onto this thing for a while, for sentimental value as well as apparent rarity. It's in flawless shape too which is surprising. The only hint of age is the slight rust on the chrome handle ends, and even most of that buffed out. I like the way it sounds too...it's the amp I've been using with the band since I graduated from my Kustom combo amp.

What's interesting is that it has 2 channels and 4 inputs. There's no extra features on either channel, they're both the same. Now if only I could figure out how to play 4 basses at once...I wonder why there's 2 inputs on each channel

16. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    After playing a mini-show last last I'm wondering if I should just keep using this amp. It has a sound that's somewhat unique and not like every other bass amp out there. To the point where it doesn't have enough power I'll probably be using PA support anyways and it's plenty loud enough for stage volume. Then again I want a GK really bad...