1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone seen or heard an 8 string fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popinfresh, Oct 12, 2009.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm talking an octave stringed bass, not ERB.

I've been looking everywhere for videos or sound clips of one but can't seem to find anything. Anyone on hear ever heard of one? I'm thinking of getting one built by a certain luthier, but would like to know if it's been done.

2. Look up Mark Egan.

TolerancEJ and coves like this.
  3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    All I could fine was 5 string fretless, and an 8 string fretted/4 string fretless double neck bass? Any pointers to the right direction?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"

Try searching for a fretless 12-string. They seem to be slightly more common than 8-strings and will sound very similar.

^I dont have any speakers in class, so I can't tell if it's fretless or not.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Cheers. Unfortunately it's fretted. Still haven't seen one fretless 8 or 12 string bass though and would like to know what it sounds like.
    Jeremy from what I know is 8 string, but fretted?

6. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I had one built by Matt at FBB several years ago, and it was my main bass for quite some time. I now mostly play my 12ver, but I still have that bass. I'll see about posting some pics later. Don't think I have any sound clips/songs recorded with it ATM, but I might be able to remedy that once I overcome my laziness.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I know Jeff Ament is a fan of fretless basses, and I remember a video from AGES ago where his bass was very obviously fretless. EDIT: http://video.tiscali.it/canali/truveo/858092767.html

Can't tell in this vid, but you should check it out.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, looks/sounds fretted to me? I know a lot of his other stuff is fretless though. My bad on it being 8 string though, it's 12 :ninja:

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That'd be great if you could. Any way of describing the sound?

10. 1dgbass

1dgbass

Jul 24, 2009
    Staten Island
    the guy from cheap trick plays an 8 string bass.

11. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    I saw Sting use an 8-string fretless Hamer Standard (Explorer) Bass in some olde Police videos, it had a maple fretboard (unusual for Hamer). I don't think he recorded some tracks with it, but maybe he used it live. You may look for some old Police live clips @youtube...

gebass6 likes this.
  12. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    AKVDY-IMG_0508.

There she is! Walnut face & back, wenge semi-hollow core, wenge/walnut/jatoba(?) neck, lined macassar ebony fingerboard. Bartolini pups, piezo wooden bridge & Audere pre.
    It's a short scale (30") and is strung right now with tapewounds, though I've tried both flats & rounds on it. The instrument is naturally dark sounding due to the woods, and because of the short scale, wooden bridge & tapewounds, it has more of a pseudo-upright, Rob Allen kind of fat thump as opposed to the traditional fretless "mwah", though it can get vocal if you play it enough. It still also retains the obvious sound of an 8er as well.
    There is another TBer who has an awesome fretless 8 made by Curbow I believe. His user name escapes me at the moment though-Monkee something...Also, the guy who runs 12stringbass.net has a fretless 12 string in blue made by Hamer. I'm pretty sure there are sound clips of it on that site.

Describing my bass really makes me want to play it now... :meh:

13. check out this video for a great looking one

edit:and then I read the first post :(

14. A friend of mine owned a fretless Curbow 8 string. It sounded alright, but it was very difficult to perfectly fret the note since the straight octave didn't leave much margin for error. I'm primarily a fretless player and found that good intonation on both strings was very difficult.

15. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Jeremy is definitely a fretted 12-string bass.

Sting played a fretless Ibanez Musician 8-string, I recall it being played on "The Police Around The World" video during some soundcheck. It's also played by Sting's roadie on Stewart Copeland's "Does Everyone Stare" film. Dunno if it was used in the studio.

16. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    My Turner Renaissance 8 string is definitely one of a kind. Rick Turner commented that it sounded like a big bass oud.

Intonation is pretty tough with a solid bridge. Its nylon strings are sourced from two six string sets of thomastik nylon cores.

For the most part, an 8 string fretless sounds like a fretless four-string run through an octave box.

turnerren8.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    What kind of music you plan on using the 8 string fretlless for?

18. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    There are different kinds???

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Yes there is.