Has anyone shipped a bass internationally?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by F*#$NA4, Apr 6, 2004.

1. F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    I am selling a bass, and someone from Rome, Italy is interested. He asked how much it would cost to ship and I went to UPS.com and was quoted 200.00 for the shipment. Is that in the ballpark? and are there other things I should consider?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Tom, I recently sent one to England via USPS, it cost me under a hundred bucks fully insured. Took about two weeks to get there. Of course it was packed in a hard shell case with bubble wrap inside and out. And, sent with a return receipt.

I wouldn't use UPS for Italy, but FedEx might be an option. Pricey though. Then there's always the "personal delivery to your front door", which I'd consider if I could wing a vacation at the same time (Italian girls are lovely this time of year).
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I shippped a bass to Canada, and had a nightmare when it came to anticipated shipping costs. The web quote was almost $100 off from the actual shipping costs. If you have any way, take the object into the post office or wherever and have THEM weigh it and tell you how much it will be.
  4. I had a bass shipped to me in the UK from New York last year, it cost $80 fully insured and took about 5 days (would've been 3 but it was Easter and I missed the first attempted delivery!).

I had a quote to ship a bass from here top Athens in Greece and it worked out at about £80 (about $140??).

I guess your figure could be about right!
  5. F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    I just told the guy that I was not comfortable shipping it overseas. It just seems like another aspect of the transaction that can go wrong. Thanks a lot for your insight, it has helped out greatly.