Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has Anyone Sold Their Brice or SX Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Jun 15, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Just a quick feeler if anyone has actrually bought a Brice or SX used, or bought one and then sold it.

I check ebay pretty regularly for them and they never come up.

So what is the general concensus? Are these keepers for real, or are they still too new for people to get the urge to let go of them and get the newest thing?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I sold my Essex Jazz two weeks ago. I got it in December of 2002. I just didn't play it because it was a four-string. I origianlly got it for it looked like cheap fun, and because I injured my pinky and was having a hard time playing my seven-string, so it helped me keep up on practice. My finger got (mostly) better, and I returned to five-and-up basses. They are nice basses- I imagine mine could have been really excellent if I had a fret job done on it.

I sold it and my old Carvin combo to a couple of grandparents who wanted to buy their grandson his first bass (I gave them a very good deal) and used the cash to buy a new Avatar 1x12.

3. I've known some people to buy them and have it not feel good to them or not be their cup of tea and then sell it. I bought one used but with upgraded pickups and it was awesome. Ended up selling it to get a 5 string. I now have another of the same model minus the upgraded pickups that I bought used and it is a great bass. Solidly built and sounds good.

4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I bought one from Jive1, sold it to Superbassman2000. I bought it to try out a 6 in E-F tuning, liked it well enough to upgrade, and sold it to Charlie who really needed it and puts it to much better use than I did.

My sale was no reflection on the quality of the instrument -- I think the build quality was wonderful, I liked the neck, it played well. It sounds good but not without some attention to the settings on bass and amp -- the electronics could be better. But, in my experience, all the hype is true: they really are great value for the money, and they are competitive with any bass below the $800 range. Or, at least, that one was.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yes. I had an SX vintage Jazz.. Gave/sold it to tyler hole :p.

6. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i just got my SX! i couldnt see myself selling it! it's just such a good quality bass for an amazing price! buying them regular price shouldn't be too bad...i got mine for $99 + $25 shipping and it arrivved in impeccable condition not a ding or scratch to be found. only a tad sloppily strung on the E and A strings. but other than that i have no regrets at all on this purchase.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sold my Essex. Bought it for $110 new, originally as a fretless. I bought a new neck for it (fretted) from rondo that had a crap fretjob so i said f*** it and sold it to some random kid for $100 because he didnt know better.

8. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I had a Brice HXB-406 and traded it in for my Tune 6 string. I liked the bass and had just purchased a Bart pre-amp to install but thought the Tune had more of a unique look and sound. Also the string spacing was tighter on the Brice. I also sold a SJB-62 in Lake Placid Blue. I got rid of it because I wanted a 75C and did not want two 4 strings. I also prefer Ash to Alder. I believe I will not get rid of the 75C. I just love how it looks and plays especially after I installed Bart jazz pickups.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had an SX Jazz bass. Too heavy, not enough tone. Even after I upgraded the pickups (and sold the bass to Smash, who sold the bass to Whafro, who sold the bass to Tyler... I think), I wasn't _crazy_ about it. Not bad for the price, but I was hoping for more.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds like how most of us got our first bass :D

11. I just bought this a week ago from incogneato here on the boards its been great fun being my first jazz but i am still a p guy

[​IMG]

12. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I just sold two on ebay, yesterday.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I bought an SX Jazz after 14 years of being bass-less. I didn't want to blow alot of money in case I really didn't feel it anymore.

Two weeks later I buy a Fender Jazz. Do I still need my SX? Of course I do. The next time I go to the Middle East, I'll have a knockabout bass to bring with me along with a headphone amp. :)

14. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I might sell my brice HX 406B its been around...

15. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'd actually consider selling mine...the thing is, I want to buy like 3 different SX's, and having 4 would be overkill...or not? :p

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I sold my 5 string SX fretless Jazz Bass soon after I received it. It's a good value for the price, but the string spacing was too narrow for me. I can't recall the exact price, but I might have gotten like $225. They're keepers if you like their features and playability. The quality and finish is pretty good for the price.

17. BWil

BWil

May 16, 2005
    SoCal USA
    I have a Brice HVB 600 & I love it. It does everything I expect from that type of bass. I'd never sell it.

18. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I traded a BG-205 for something I needed at the time. I upgraded twice with 2 different 5ers but now am back to gigging w/ an SX P5 that I plan on keeping for awhile.

I also have two SX four stings that I don't gig so I would sell/trade if the right offer came along, but for now they are fun projects. I installed a Jackson preamp in my 3/4 P and my fretless J will get a Demeter preamp sometime this summer.

19. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I bought and sold two used SXs for what I paid for them (one p-bass, one blue jazz), a quilted model that I had converted to fretless and a 6 string Brice that I just couldn't play. I sold the p-bass because someone gave me an MIM p-bass and the jazz because a coworker was looking for a starter bass for his son. Right now I just own four SX jazzes and one p-bass. I'm always looking for cheap used ones, too.

Glenn D.

20. I've bought a number of these from Rondo, and sold most after a while. No matter what I think at the time, what I really use is 5-string jazz type basses.

SX fretless butterscotch ash body maple fretbd 4. sold it for what I paid, wish I'd kept it. This was a reall pretty bass.

SX ash body Sunburst 4-- bought a second with glue stains, sold it for what I paid

Brice fretless v2 6 string-- this sold on ebay for 400. or so, I have no idea why

Brice fretted HXB 6 string-- sold for 75% of what I paid. I always think I want a 6, but I don't really use it.

SX black 5-string fretted jazz-- this was really nice, but the string spacing was kind of tight and a mexican Jazz came up on a cheap "buy it now", I sold this for 120. with a case.

Overall, I think this habit has a moderate cost, and it's entertaining.

One bass I have kept-- metallic LPB Brice 5-string fretless jazz--this is really a nice bass!