1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone stop playing bass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fingerguy, May 14, 2019.

1. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Has anyone stopped playing the bass? If yes then what happened? Another instrument, no more music, do tell.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I did about 10 years ago. I was in a band with three of my closest friends. We decided to stop playing, and I didn't want to play with anyone else, so I sold all my gear.
    No other instruments.

-Mike

3. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    I did in my late 20's and through all of my 30's. I regret it. I played other instruments (acoustic guitar, pedal steel, banjo in a working bluegrass band) in my 40's and only returned to EUB, bass guitar and piano in my 50's. So I'm playing catch up ball now. My advice is simple: if you're someone who loves making music don't stop playing, even if you have job/family/life obligations. It may buy you more time in the short term, but in the long term it leads to regret.

kobass, danesdad and S-Bigbottom like this.
  4. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Yep for 18 years, no music playing during that period. This was a big change of career for me, from professional musician to the IT world. My house got broke into and all my musical equipment was stolen. All was replaced by the insurance and I had four string basses before and they were replaced by fivers. I looked at them and said to myself, what have you done during the past 18 years, started playing again and now I do both. Work day job to put things on the table and play bass in three projects because it is what it was met to be...

kobass and S-Bigbottom like this.
  5. Yup.
    No instruments for a few years when the kids were born, when they got bigger there was time to play again.

6. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    I played from high school until I was about 25. Then my cousin borrowed my bass for use in his Motley Crue tribute band. I didn't see it again for 20 some years. Just prior to that the band I'd been in (such as it was) stopped playing together as well. I let my cousin keep my bass for years under the assumption that he would get it refinished and cleaned up to correct what gigging in the MC tribute band had caused. After five years or so, I came to understand that it was never going to happen, so I took the bass back as is. It sat for a while until my son started showing an interest in music. That rekindled me a bit but I'm not the player I was (not that I was any great shakes back in the day). I fool with it occasionally now but I do wish I'd kept up with it through all those years life got in the way. You definitely lose your chops if you put it down for a couple decades.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I started on piano when I was about 9 and played something or another for about 20 years. Mostly bass starting when I was about 19. Then, for close to 20 years, I would pick up the guitar or sit down at the piano a couple times a year but that's about it. I had work, kid stuff, and other things that took up time and money. Ten years ago, I started playing again, and it's what I do. If it stops again, it will stop again. The funny thing is that I didn't miss it much during the time off. Now I play something or another just about daily, and look forward to it. I don't miss not playing, but I don't regret the time off, either. There's no moral to this story.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    well yeah, cause I had to go to bed and sleep so I could get up and go to work but then I started playing again after I got home the next day, so there was a period of about almost 20 hours when I didn't play the bass.

Gaolee likes this.
  9. I'm not actively playing at the moment. I was practicing with a few guys over the last year, but we sort of drifted apart. I am a little busy at work these days, so I will probably look for another project soon.

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess so, yeah. When I was a teenager, I tended to tinker around with a lot of different instruments without really committing to one. Bass was one. I got one when I was sixteen and noodled around with it, eventually lost interest. Later on it got stolen and I didn't bother replacing it because I wasn't using it anyway. Over twenty years went by, and my main musical outlet during those times was banging away at a mandolin around a campfire. It wasn't until my late thirties that I got the itch to play bass again, and my wife (to her everlasting regret) told me about this website called Craigslist where you could find people selling stuff cheap... been playing ever since, about ten years now I think.

DirtDog likes this.
  11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    A couple of times over the last 35 odd years. Mostly to focus on other instruments. It’s been a few months since I’ve picked up my bass in any meaningful way. Been playing pedal steel and doing some composing/recording - mostly electronic stuff.

12. I can't say I'm playing a lot of bass these days. I haven't been in a band for a really long time and it's slim picking these days. At the moment, I'm mostly playing solo instrumental acoustic because I can't sing.

I wouldn't object to playing bass if an opportunity came up. My job has me working every other weekend, which doesn't jive with the good cover bands who want to gig every Fri+Sat. I'm already too old for the original bands that plan on making it big. No desire to play in a band that doesn't practice much or comes unprepared, no real goals, low odds of recording or playing out, etc. I despised how many local original bands treated me like an unpaid hired gun. Part of that was on me for taking it, but that behavior is there.

13. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I stopped for 12 months in order to reassess some priorities. Years of playing in bands had worn me down in more ways than one. I ended up going back to bass, but in a different context (hired gun) that made me much happier.

14. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not permanently, but I haven't picked mine up more than once or twice in the past year. Been noodling around on my acoustic guitar semi-regularly during that year, which in turn had sat dormant for about 8-10 years while I concentrated on bass.

Those cycles continue...many of my hobbies are on again/off again.

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i can't say i've ever stopped playing. but i did stop gigging for about 5 years, once. not the same, i know.

16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I haven't stopped, but haven't been playing a ton of bass lately, trying to get my woodwind chops up. Still, gotta keep up skills across the board...

17. Sadly I sometimes go for months
    Weeks w/

No band
    No gigs
    Lack of motivation
    Find it difficult to “fiddle while Rome burns “
    Live in musically dead area
    Vehicle dead; essentially under “house arrest “

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Basically, yes.

I play guitar now and greatly enjoy the instrument. I think what I enjoy most when it comes to learning an instrument is the process of practicing and seeing incremental improvement over a period of time. I hadn’t had that with bass in years, so guitar fills this niche rather nicely.

I haven’t sold of my basses or equipment yet. I doubt I’d get rid of everything, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I sold my P. I’ve actually transitioned into buying guitars, and I need to be careful. I already have a Strat, Tele, LP, and PRS.

19. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    It wasn't intentional, but grief is strange. A friend in our church band, one of the absolute nicest people I've ever known (a good guy, and a great dad), died well before his time, in some truly horrible, tragic circumstances. Everything about the situation tore everyone who knew him to pieces.

Anyone who had ever played with him showed up to play for his funeral, as best we could manage. When the service was over, I put my bass in its case, took it home, leaned it against the wall in a corner of my office, and didn't touch it for more than two years. I couldn't bring myself to even open the case and look at it, never mind take it out and play it. I was so used to looking to my left, and seeing him smiling next to that headstock, there was just no way to look at it without feeling like something was utterly wrong, and couldn't be put right.

Frankly, it's still wrong. But eventually, I found my way back to the bass.

Nedmundo and S-Bigbottom like this.
  20. I live in what amounts to a shoebox, it's a really small space and I share it with a guy. Naturally for the past couple years I've had to stop playing bass, but I've still got a parlor guitar that sits under my bed.i play bass when I go home, played a gig last year just after Christmas.