Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone tried GIVSON basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fluke, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    http://www.givson.com/products3.htm

They seem like a pretty good deal to me! I'd like a Swing bass since i play a lot of swing, along with more modern styles. Anyway it's pretty good that they're not unashamed of pointing out what musical styles they're suited for. Maybe an upright would be more suitable for swing though? Yeah, i heard Cremonas are among the best. I mean Cremona is where Stradivarius lived, so they got to have a lot of his spirit and quality in them right? :meh: Oh well anyway, i heard they're real collectors items. The old Givsons, like from the 50's. Maybe they spelt it differently back then? Hell, what difference could spelling make anyway. :bassist: Givson... Yeah!!

2. I suppose it's kind of an experimental site, not a real company. When you click on "About us" or "Company info" or "Contact us", nothing shows. There was a thread a while ago about some company who made basses from Carvin DIY kits and sold them under another nameplate. It was found out that it was an "experimental" website".

BTW, these are among the ugliest guitars and basses I've ever seen! Yuck!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The logo design is a dead giveaway.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Update: Seems legit after all, but it seems it's a "rip-off" company.

5. sjoakes

sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    yep, it is a real company -I saw some Givson guitars in a shop in Delhi when I was visiting India this summer.

Didn't play one though...sorry, not much help.

6. Either BGRA.net or H-C has a review of one of these.
    KFS

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Can't they be sued for trademark infringement? I mean Givson?(Gibson) The G.B. King(B.B King)? Or is it just another chimera of my mind?

8. They should be sued, for sure.

9. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Well, if IBS can get away with it, I'm sure givson can. Does India even follow US trademark/patent/copyright laws?

10. Sue? Rightly, yes, but is it worth it?
    It's probably not worth Gibson's time and expense to pursue an surely elusive, arguably derivative guitar company based halfway around the world offering a product unlikely to be confused with their own which even the inveterate gearheads here may have heard of once in a bar in Topeka.
    Bootlegging is a massive business, and "Givson" is small potatoes, especially compared to the massive copyright infringement that goes on in China, Brooklyn and other semi-civilized locales.
    KFS

11. That sad looking ES-335 knockoff guitar is named Carlton. I wonder if Larry is flattered. Too funny...

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    LOL:D