1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone tried Jade Bass Rosin?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Blazemourne, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Blazemourne

Blazemourne

Nov 6, 2004
    How is it compared to Carlsson and Pops?

2. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Its much smoother than pops, and while I like a couple of swipes for smooth lyrical playing, it doesn't grab too well for orchestral playing. Of course, this is just my opinion. Let us know how it works for you.

3. Disclaimer: I don't bow much, so what I have to say shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I had a cake of Pops and a cake of Jade when I first started out, so I've gotten experience on both. I think the biggest difference is that you wont be getting that heavy pull that you can get from a couple swipes of Pops. At times, I almost felt that the Jade was inadequate and wished for a little more friction between my bow and my strings, but while the Jade doesn't feel like it grips well, it does pull out a very nice sweet tone out of the bass. The Jade gave the bass a more singing tone while the Pops would give it this very meaty tone.

My 2 cents

4. I was using Jade for a couple of years at my teacher's insistance, until ... I got a bad cake. It appeared to be from a different wholesaler and must have been very old. I'm now using only pops from bassrosin.com guarenteed (sp) fresh.

Jade (good cakes): nice grip, smoother sound than Carlson, way too much rosin on the strings and top to clean up.

Pops (fresh): nice grip, smooth sound, not much clean up required, but be careful it is easy to get too much.

5. EJ-

was the cake kind of wrinkly? and just didn't even seem to grip (even though jade hardly seems to grip at all when applying it anyways)

-Kev

6. i bought a cake after trying it at Upton. Then i never used it again -- somehow when I got home it just didn't grip. I'm back to Pops, and occasionally Carlsson.

anybody looking for a used cake of Jade?

7. jade is much more smooth than pops and carlsson rosin. I use it when i play auditions and solos. It doesnt give you the grip you need for orchestral playing however so i keep a cake of both carlsson and jade in my bass bag.

8. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I have a cake of Jade as well as Carlesson. The Jade is much harder than the Carlesson, and since it's winter, the Carlesson grips much better right now. We'll see how it fares once it gets warmer. Tone-wise, I haven't noticed much, but I also haven't used either for long.

My arco is terrible too, so my opinion isn't worth much haha.

9. I had an entirely different experience with Jade... not sure why?

I used Pops for several years before I tried a cake of Jade.

The Jade I had was very, very soft (i could squeeze it with my fingers, I could never do this with Pops..further, my Jade never broke or cracked like the Pops had a tendency to do every once in a while). I used it primarily for solo playing. In my case it was VERY sticky before the bow got warmed up. Often too sticky..

Overall I liked it more than Pop's because it gave me extra grip.

Due to it being softer it did leave more residue and there was more cleanup needed.

It also smells like a campfire.. ;)

10. I don't know about Jade but I do know that when your rosin gets brittle starts chipping or breaking, a drop or two of water really helps to soften it right up. There have been other threads talking about this.