Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone tried making a gramm pad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Oct 17, 2003.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just bought one of these things for $50 at guitar b'itch. All it is is some wood and a couple of pieces of foam that it sits on. Definatly not worth $50. Has anyone tried making one?

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have 3 Grammas and they are worth the cost.

3. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I'm tempted to buy one, just so I can A/B it with a homemade version.

4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    what exactly are these things? :confused:

5. What is this gramm pad? can't find it on google

6. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    It's Auralex GrammA pad

Although there isn't much info on Google :confused:

Here's the info from MF:

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The gramma pads work like they say they do. I just got one and put it under my rig (two GS112s and a SWR SM500) and I noticed the lows did tighten up. The gramma is also light weight.

You may be able to build one yourself, but a lot of plywood can be heavier than whatever is used on the gramma. I considered just building one, but I heard so many good reviews that I just bought one instead. I a glad I did. The light weight, quality foam, and carry handle make it nice. It also helps keep your rig up off nasty club floors.

They run about $50 everywhere, but I felt like it was worth it.

-KB

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    BigString seems to love 'em :D

One of the things I've done for a long time is turn a ported cab sideways to decouple the ports from the floor. Sounds a lot less boomy and less like a box pushing air... what about just putting casters on the bottom of the cab? Does the Gramma really do a better job?

9. I think a Sorbothane pad would work better. It is a demonstrated vibration absorbing material, and has engineering data sheets for choosing the correct material and thickness.

10. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I built one of these things after seeing an Auralex. I haul it with my rig and use it when decoupling is desirable. Seems like I use it a lot. Other bassists I know who have access to high density foam have bypassed the plywood part and that also seems to work. But be warned...decoupling your cab from the floor can start serious debates amongst musicians...use your own ears.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    jeez - i kinda thought using a milk crate would do the same thing:eek:
    really high end home stereo manufacturers (like B&W) use stands that terminate in little sharp points to reduce coupling as much as possible

12. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Actually the points are intended to increase contact pressure and improve coupling. Kind of like nailing the cab to the floor.

13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Where can you get the heavyfoam for these? I would buy one, but it is too small, and I would need two. I would rather make one bigger one.

14. Where did you hear that? Pin-feet are used to isolate the item (component or speaker) from the floor to prevent vibrations going into the floor (speakers) or vibrations going into the component.

I would've thought adding feet would be all that's required.

I too run one of my cabs on it's side to get the bottom port off the floor - gives a more punchy sound, with less woof.