1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

has anyone tried MesaWalkabout vs Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Feb 23, 2008.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you have please let me know your thoughts as these are the top contenders for my next amp. I´ve tried the Walkabout and loved it and I´ve also played and liked the Thunderfunk tops in the past. Im looking for a warm fat clean sound for my Lakland Hollowbody with Darkstar pickups. The head will drive a 4 ohm 1x15 for smaller gigs.

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA

I have a Walkabout and I just gigged with my new Shuttle 6.0 last night. The Shuttle sounds great and without comparing them, it occurred to me that the Shuttle is like having a Walkabout, but with PLenty of Volume, Headroom and power. That was my main complaint with the Walkabout. Once I got to a certain volume level, turning up the gains would not make it any louder. Just more tube clipping.

The Shuttle has a wonderful organic tube character, with PLENTY of power. It's a great amp and I would heartily recommend it to anyone that loves the Mesa Walkabout!

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I am a Walkabout user contemplating a MPulse 600 or Venture (MPulse 600 in a 2x12 combo) purchase to get more power for louder and outdoor gigs.

I'm very interested in a compare between a GB Shuttle 6.0 and and MPulse600/Venture.

Anyone else have hands on with this ?

4. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Well, I just spent an hour comparing these two side by side, back and forth. I left the Walkabout behind, and brought home the Shuttle 6.0.

The two amps sounded very similar, both with a velvet-like smoothness, but more clarity from the Shuttle. Playing quietly, both had nice tone, both nicely responsive. Cranking it up, the Shuttle gets louder without breaking up, and has just a more commanding sound to it.

Both have tube front-ends, both have solid-state back ends. Both have excellent Knobbage.

I just commented in another thread that I had swapped out the Walkabout's fan, a year ago, for a much quieter one. I can see doing the same on the Shuttle.

Before:
    whappo_walkabout_2.
    After:

whappo_shuttle_jazz.

5. MY take is pretty much the same as yours, including having done a fan swap on my Walkabout. The Walkabout is a terrific head and I really love mine with a 5751 in v1. But that being said, I really like the tube grit of the Shuttle with the clarity and finesse that the Walkabout struggles to find. Factor in 2x the power at 1/3 the weight and you can see why my Walkabout will be up for sale shortly. The Walkabout is still a terrific sounding head and if I had to keep it, I wouldn't be sad. I just like the whole package of the Shuttle more.

6. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Tube overdrive aside, which has a warmer/fatter bottom end? Or is it too close to call?

I'd also love to hear any Shuttle 600/M-Pulse 600 comparisons.

7. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I own a walk about 1x15 combo with the drop in walk about amp. It's a great little combo and it's very loud and fun for its size. I even use it when Im bored with my Big Block 750, I'll run it through one of my powerhouse cabs. I'd recommend one any day,but also look at the epifani 502c, those are very cool as well for a small amp, and powerful. I play with a fender CS 64 jazz. Best of luck

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ok, aside from the obvious power section differences, and I guess some amount of weight (13 vs 3.75lbs .. not really a huge deal IMO) what other differences do these 2 amps present.

FWIW, I would think that you would really expect to compare the Walkabout with the GB Shuttle 3.0, not the 6.0, which compares more closely with the MPulse 600. So, checking the specs and features, I see that the MPulse 600 offers quite a bit more eq adjustment range (maybe a good thing, maybe not), built in high quality compressor, and essentially a 2 channel feature with the solo channel. How does the Shuttle 6.0 compare to the MPulse 600 as opposed to the Walkabout ?

Any of you experienced with both products care to offer more insight into tonal or other major feature differences ?

Still very interested

9. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just got a shuttle 6.0 and could not be happier. However, if the shuttle didn't exist I'd probably have a walkabout. If you need clean headroom, the Shuttle is a good bet, however, the Mesa is built very, very well. The jury is still out on the Shuttle, but I imagine that it will hold up well. Time will tell. If you are looking at a new walkabout, I think the shuttle is a better bang for the buck.

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks a lot for all the good advice!
    I´ll go for a Shuttle as it´s almost half the price of the Walkabout in Europe...