Has anyone tried/seen the new VHT REDLINE 25B 25 WATT 10" BASS COMBO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Jan 22, 2019.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Good morning all, I'm a sucker for unique looking stuff, even if it is on the cheap side. I found this amp on a couple different websites and the Bay, and I know VHT has a rich history of cool amps. But I'm sure these are SS amps from somewhere from Asia. One warning sign is when I go to the VHT website,there's no phone number or address. Never a good sign. The amp looks cool and there's a YouTube review of the VHT Redline 50 bass combo, but that's more than I need. this would be an inexpensive office practice amp. Very inexpensive.

vht redline25.PNG

VHT Amp - The Redline Series

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  2. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Anybody? :wideyed:

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

It’s a toy!! ;)

alaskaleftybass and S-Bigbottom like this.
  4. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @BassmanPaul it's around 100 bucks and all I need under my desk at work! Besides I like the red! drool.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Wow. This is a cool thread! Full of great information! :laugh:

BTW they are cool looking amps. BTW

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The link you posted doesn't show that amp for me.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Sorry sir. It’s www.vhtamp.com.

8. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Good morning. Well, at this time the VHT R25's are really hard to get. They've been selling out in music stores. I have a small GK MB200 so I ordered a VHT 110 cabinet to go with the GK head. I'm only using the setup in my office so I don't need a lot of volume. Matter of fact too much bottom end could get me in trouble in the office! LOL

9. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    VHT used to be a really great company making tube guitar amps that were mostly moderate to high gain, since about the late 80s/early 90s. At some point around 10 or so years ago, the owner, Stephen Fryette, for some bizarre reason which I haven't seen explained anywhere, sold the company and some of the trademark type stuff to some other company. Then he started another company called Fryette, making the exact same models as before, with essentially the exact same cosmetics, the only thing that changed was the brand name (maybe he wanted his actual name on his highly regarded stuff, who knows).

I think the current VHT is owned by AXL, or at least has some connection to them, because there are some basically identical products between the 2. Now, the import stuff may very well be decent, I haven't heard any of it. The guitar stuff does look intriguing (I have one of the REAL VHT amps already, from the late 90s, a 50 1x12 combo that takes 6L6 or EL34s and sounds awesome). I dont think I would spend money on the bass stuff, but if you just want a small practice amp for the office or something, it's probably fine.

10. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Probably was made an offer he couldn't refuse. I'm guessing this was a Michael Tobias-type situation.

11. webspeare

webspeare

Nov 15, 2011
    NYC Metro area
    Hi, I bought the amp for the same reasons you outlined: looks cool, wanted one at my feet under my desk, relatively cheap. It met my expectations. I have carried it to jazz rehearsals and it works fine for that, at low volume. The E string can distort easily if you are looking for much volume it if you have the bass tone up too high, but it has a nice punchy sound otherwise. Sounds like the right thing for your needs.

12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thank you everyone for chiming in. Thanks @webspeare and @Axstar and everyone else. Like I said, it's bright red and we don't always get a lot of sun in Sitka Alaska. :D

13. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Still no sign of that amp when I click that link. Might just be my popup/ad blocker stuff causing that though.

14. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Charlie, go to google and type in vht amplifiers homepage. Then vhtamp.com will come up.

15. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    No problem finding the website, but that amp is nowhere to be found on it as far as I can see?

16. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Yep. They are very sparse with information. I just found it randomly on eBay and then read the specs on Amazon and Reverb. Amazon actually has more information than VHT.

17. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
  18. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Update: I did buy a VHT 25 bass combo last year. It was not only heavy, but lacked any volume or good tone controls. It was heavy because it was made of particleboard and the amp was very anemic. Very bland sound. Luckily I bought it through Amazon and it was a free return as I'm a Prime member. Save your dollars and buy a cheap Rumble or Orange or something like that.

pipaberg and Haroldo like this.
  19. webspeare

webspeare

Nov 15, 2011
    NYC Metro area
    Hey @alaskaleftybass here's my update, too. I still have my VHT 25 and agree with you, mostly. But I didn't have a return option and figured there's no resale value, so I decided to experiment. I put in a Celestion Pulse10 - 200W 10" Bass Speaker and have significantly improved the sound. I also almost always use a preamp or EQ pedal in front of it, which makes a huge difference in sound. And I still like the aesthetic (red!), so using it strictly for home use has made it an "investment" I don't regret. But you're right - it's not going to serve as a band practice amp, nor as a gigging amp for the most part! It sits to my left while I sit at my desk for work.

20. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hi @webspeare ! Thanks for validating that! I was really sad about that because I thought it was a cool name and I loved the red color. I was very disappointed when I heard it out of the box. I could have bought a different speaker like I did my GK MB108. I normally don't use pedals but have active basses. Glad yours worked out for you! :thumbsup:

webspeare and MCF like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021