1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone tried the Aguilar AG-4J-70 70s wind pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by L. L. Elwood, Jan 12, 2012.

1. L. L. Elwood

L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Hey all,

Just curious is anyone has tried the Aggie 70s jazz pickups? I was looking at getting a set for my Lakland DJ Skyline. It's either those or some Aeros... Please comment if you've tried or heard them.

Thanks!!

2. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I just ordered a set to go into a project bass that I'm putting together. I will report back what I find and possibly post a recording.

I scored a set for $160, which puts them between the $125 or so that you would pay for DiMarzios/Seymour Duncans and the $180 or so you'd pay for boutique winds like Nordstrand, Fralin or Lollar. So, if they sound better than DiMarzios but short of Fralins, that'll be good enough for me.

My only concern is that I plan to use them passively, and I don't know whether I'll be able to get the full potential out of the set without a preamp. At any rate, I had never tried any Aguilar products before, but had heard lots of good things about the company and wanted to give them a chance. Stay tuned!

3. Russell Bergum

Russell Bergum Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Rochester, MN
    I just put an Aguilar 70's bridge pickup in my '81 jazz. It's fantastic. It's the real deal. The original pickup was getting really quiet, so I just replaced that one. I think the Aguilar 70's pup would be great in a DJ.

I have the Aguilar 60's pickups in my Carvin fretless, and they are also great, with a vintage 60's tone.

4. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    Anyone else have any comments on the Aguilar 70's jazz pickups? especially any comparisons to the Nordstrand 70's wind?

Thanks.

5. bump

6. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    Which ones did they make first ?

7. Russell Bergum

Russell Bergum Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Rochester, MN
    The 60's version

8. Funksoulbass

Funksoulbass

Dec 9, 2008
    Queens
    I bought Aguilars 4j-60, 4j-70 and nordstrand nj4 for my 1978 jazz bass. I liked the Aguilar 4j-70 the most by far! They sound great! The 4j-60 sounded great on my mim fender standard but didnt have as much lows and highs as the 4j-70 which is what i needed on my 78 jazz.

Mod7 likes this.