1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone tried the EBS Onboard Pre? Compare to Glockenklang and Aguilar OBP3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Aug 10, 2012.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Dear Bass Brothers,

I have a Kinal SK5 that I love but I'm considering modifying the preamp circuit. It has a John East MMSR with a Villex PRTB, but I'm not getting the ideal sound for my ears. I'm considering switching it out to the Glockenklang 3-band, the Aguilar OBP-3, or the EBS onboard...

Finding out info on the Glock and Aguilar is easy, but no one seems to know much about the EBS. If anyone has tried one, I'd love to know! Please give me your thoughts and comments on the comparisons between the East MMSR, EBS, Glock, and Aggie preamps.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Didn't even know EBS made them!

I can't help with your question, but did you see the Glock pre's in the Emporium for $125?

3. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes...tempting. The EBS are hard to find. They are used in Larkin and Neuser basses. Not sure...

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They aren't listed on the EBS website. So how would you even get one?

5. Whoa, EBS has an on-board pre? News to me. My opinions on the other two:

Glockenklang - Extremely transparent. Great if you just want your bass' most natural sound with a bit of flexibility. Once you get to knob twiddlin' though, they're not the most powerful pre in terms of tone shaping. The treble control in particular is pretty poor when trying to boost the highs - too clicky sounding and easily lost in the mix. I willing to bet part of that is because it's centered so high (18kHz). Funnily enough, it works well enough for cutting the highs if you need too.

Aguilar OBP-3 - POWERFUL tone shaping to be had here. Every little turn WILL add something noticeable to your tone. Sounds more on the modern side of things, big in the lows, clear highs, but not crazy bright.

6. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    It's not how...it's IF I could get one.

7. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC

Hmm...decisions decisions. From your description it sounds like the Aguilar might be a better choice for my application, but I may just be inclined to give the East one more chance...I'd have to take it in for more work to get the Villex to act right. I'm just not sure.

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You got to know the how to get to if. I don't see them for sale anywhere.

9. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Sometimes you just have to ask...

But again, that's not the point, and you're not really helping. The question I had is more of a tonal comparison than anything else.

10. I meant to ask in my last response but what do you find lacking in your tone currently? Since you're rocking a Kinal, I'm guessing it's equipped with a Bartolini NTMB? What would you want added to your tone?

11. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't have a Bart. It's an East MMSR with Villex PRTB.

12. Ah, ok. In either case, what would you like in your sound that you aren't getting?

13. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Less highs, more mids. Maybe there's a way to add a mid control and a passive tone. I'll probably look into that.

14. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Since most people don't even know they exist, it seems unlikely that anyone has tried them. Unless you play one of the basses they are OEM on. So while I might not have been helpful, my point was if you can't buy them, you can't try them out. And the reaction you are getting here is that no one knew there was a such thing. :)

The only difference between the sound of preamps is their tone control voicing which is due to the frequency and bandwidth of each control.

15. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm well aware of this, but it makes a huge difference. There are a few folks who have tried them on here...search for EBS Onboard pre, or Neuser + EBS, or Larkin + EBS. Bottom line is comparing the sounds.

16. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    try the audere

17. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Well then they are the ones to ask. Problem is did they try the other preamps in the same bass? Probably not.

18. You might want to give the Bartolini NTMB a look then if you haven't ruled it out already. It doesn't totally squash the highs like a lot of folks like to say but it does roll them off a tad in comparison to most preamps I've tried. Get one of the models with the 3-way mid switch and you're solid.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I really like the OBP-3s in my Drozd and LeCompte basses. They are very versatile with a somewhat modern sound, but it depends a lot on the pickups and the blend between them, too. Another preamp to consider is the Pope Flex Core, which is by far the most versatile preamp I've used, with four bands of on-board EQ available. Clean and transparent would be the words for the Flex Core.

I've got East J-Retro in my Lakland Joe Osborn, and it's also a versatile amp, but has a slightly darker tone than either the OBP-3 or Flex Core.

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

EBS preamps have been around for well over 10 years.
    Info is scarce and I wouldn't know where to buy one at this point.
    This documentation comes from an older TB thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]