Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone tried the Epifani preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanjones, Apr 5, 2002.

1. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Just curious. From the few (somewhat non-technical) specs they have on their website it looks like it might be killer and sort of Aguilar like. Anyone got any experience with it?

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Bass,

I'll be going to Fodera on Mon to pick up some strings and if Epifani is open I will stop in and check it out. They are in the same building AND Matt Garrison is also, but he is on tour with Herbie Hancock (I missed him at Irving Plaza last week, sold out show!) Talk about your one stop shopping, Fodera-Epifani-Garrison, it doesn't get better than that, details will follow...

SINcerely,
    Satan

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hey devil, if possible, while at fodera could you look in on a bass being made for joe duran? its supposed to be nearing completion and being in cali im dying to take a look at it but second hand info would be just as good;) its a neck through emperor with a buckeye burl top that looks like chestnut burl, ebony board and blocks. and if not, that cool too!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LOL,

i've been dying to go out to Nick's shop for a while, but havent quite had the chance. tell us what you can bout the pre. i know they have an Alembic FX-1 for demoing and i've always wanted to hear how they compared. hope you have fun.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Narud,

I was there about 2wks ago and in fact I did see a bass as you described very near completion. Dave said it had either a chestnut or burl top, I don't remember, we were discussing a possible 6 string build-up for The "Devil Himself", however, it was DROP-DEAD gourgeous like a Playboy centerfold! I did get to play an Anthony Jackson contra-bass (6 -36" scale) and boy, that thing was an ANIMAL! I will enquire about your piece. Joker, you bet your ass I'm gonna run that pre thru the mill, stay tuned...

later,
    Evil

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    so dev, what's the word???

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Joker,

You won't believe this, but I couldn't make it there yesterday (Mon) and when I called today to check their hours & the pre, they informed me that they just sent the only one they had out to be modeled for production!!! Boy oh boy was I pissed! Anyway, I'm leaving right now to Fodera for strings & to hopefully take some pics of Naruds Elite 5. I will also check out Epifani's cabs while I'm there. Soon as that pre is back though, I'm gonna REALLY run it through the mill, stay tuned...

later,
    Satan

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    man, if you manage to get pics im going to be in some serious debt to you. oooh, how interesting.....being in debt to the devil;)

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Heerrreeesss Satan,

I just have TOO much to say but I'm gonna keep it brief.
    Narud: The bass I saw was not yours (sorry) but I talked to Joe about it and he told me it was in the back being worked on and from the sounds of it, it needed more work than you think for completion. Don't worry, I 'm going back real soon & I will get pics for ya to oogle when I get there before their closing time and everyone isn't as busy. Yes, I did have one of the best conversations with the "Living Legend" Mr Vinny Fodera about his career & history + all the people he has worked with, he is by far a truly respectable gentleman and a wealth of information, listen when he talks. Joe is another force of Fodera who gets my utmost respect as a person & builder, thanks for letting me play the Emperor 2, unbelievable!

Bassmanjones & Joker:
    I visited Mr Epifani and spoke to him about his pre that WASN'T there. He said it was getting minor finishing touches so it can be ready ASAP for mass consumption. He told me to bring any pre I want & his would blow it away! I did however try some of his cabs through an alembic pre with a Fodera Elite and those cabs WAIL! Loud & tight, check 'em out. Nick Epifani told me to check back in a month to try the finished pre with his cabs, so there ya have it, I didn't want to turn this into a Fodera discussion but being that they are next door to each other I just wanted to share my trip. One more thing, Joe has a half complete Imperial 2 un-claimed & available, 6/35"/ alder/burled top, call 'em @ 718-832-3455, it won't last...

later,
    Satan

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    too cool man. thanks for checking that out for me. i wish i could check those two places out. even more of an excuse to check out some epifani cabs.

12. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Thanks Devil.....guess I owe you a soul now, huh? Well too bad...I traded it four years ago for a slurpee and some twizzlers (I was really hungry) :p

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    God bless you, Dev.... :D

thanks for the report. too bad you didnt get to play that bad boy. i've been jonesin' to head down there myself, but considering parking is a bear, i dunno if i'd risk luggin' my bass on the N train. but if the GAS is bad enough, we shall see... hehe...

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    just drag your bass over there already, you know you want to.:D

if i wasnt on the other coast, id be over there buggin' people to play gear all the time. i remember the first time i went to the la bass exchange and playing all the high end basses i had never played before and telling myself id never afford one of those. now i have a fodera on order. funny how things work out.

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Joker,

Parking isn't that bad down there on 34th St at the end by the piers & waterfront. If you go a little later, after 4pm you can park right in front as long as you don't block a loading dock of one of the warehouses nearby.

later,
    Belial

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice, thx Dev,

just the advice i needed to get me to go now. hopefully, tomorrow! thx again.

17. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Joker,

One more thing, when you go down 34th St (towards the water) look on your left hand side for #68. That beat up big steel no-name door is the entrance to ecstacy! Oh, one more thing, the bass I played was a Fodera Imperial 2/ 5/ 35"/ alder/ spalted buckeye burl...AMAZING, I will have one in a 6, slightly different, stay tuned...

later,
    Satan

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey Dev,

Thanks to your advice, i made my way down to Nick's shop finally, and man, what a great guy. He's a gregarious fellow, but his advice is pretty invaluable. I lugged my EA iAMP350 down there, but, i think i shoulda brought s'more heavy duty firepower to really push the jams.

The pre wasnt there, alas, but i did try out his new designs for his 2x10. a modified square box, its mainly for japanese export. but wow, was it cool to play thru. punchie and tight like a panther.

But the treat of the visit was his 1x12's. i fell in love with a particular 1x12 he's been tinkering, and he said that he'll have a newly designed deeper box for demo next week. its slightly deeper by an inch and will better accomodate the lows. omg, i dunno how he could make his 1x12's any better, but dag, its that Epi mojo. his 1x12's are just soo articulate and growly, they're unlike anything i've heard. i've tried his 1x12's before, but today they just spoke to me. these of course are his tinkered prototype ones, so one can only imagine how the finished cab would amaze.

cause of that 1x12, i'm realizing that 12's are my speaker of choice. maybe its just cause his cabs totally rock, but 12's seem to have enough cone for better depth of tone. IMHO, 10's seem to be punchie for punchie's sake, and not really have enough cone for any tonal mojo going. its like, you feel 'em, but do you really hear 'em?

He also had a Fodera Emperor in swamp ash w/ rosie neck on hand to let me try a 5 string thru his cabs, and dammit!!!! I WANT ONE!!! also parking wasnt that bad since i took your advice and went down near the water to park. all in all a great experience, but unfortunately, the GAS has been building, and i think my g***** gear will soon diminish to supplement a Fodera in my future... ;) Ebay be kind...

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Joker,

Glad you had a blast!Those cabinets are top shelf, & he WILL build ANYTHING you want! That Fodera Nick has is BEAUTIFUL, but, not to sound critical, IMHO, the Imperial IS THE BASS! You should've went to Fodera while you were right THERE!? Anyway, a sick Fodera is all that's on my mind also right now, who wants to buy my Zon?...

later,
    Satan