1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone tried the Gripmaster/Varigrip?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
  2. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    I have one, I used to use it all the time while wasting away hours and hours in the van.... then it got old and the strings weren't as good so it got to be uncomfortable.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1.

As mentioned above this has been covered a few times. Try a search.

Basically the strength and dexterity needed to play the bass is the opposite of that needed to grip. If you try fretting a string without your thumb on the back of the fretboard, you will see just how little strength is required. What needs to be developed is strength in the opening of the hands.

Bottom line : These Varigrips are just gadgets, and while they probably have their uses, bass playing is not one of them.

4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks guys :) I think I'll save my pennies and avoid the gadgety thing

I'm gonna have to find out how to be more dextrous I think... not even sure what that means let alone how to do it hehe!

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    The fastest way to get there is also the most straightforward - play and practice bass.
    I saw your other post on speed - the irony is that the best way to develop speed is to practice slowly. Your fingers need to learn the right way to move, accurately. Speed (dexterity) is a byproduct of unconscious accuracy. Learning to wiggle your fingers really really fast won't help your playing (or help you to gain speed) as much as practicing slowly will.
    Really.

6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks kesslari :)
    I'll keep practicing and hoping I'll get there one day!

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020