Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone tried the Guyatone BR-2 Auto Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slater, May 14, 2001.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just trying to get some feedback on the Guyatone BR-2 Bottom Wah Rocker Auto Wah for Bass.

(Fortunately, I've been gigging too much lately to get to a dealer to check one out).

I'm looking for an auto wah or envelope filter to use with my live set-up. The EBS Bass I.Q. sounds the best to me. The EH Q-Tron also sounds good. And, the new Line 6 envelope modeler looks pretty cool, but I just can't justify spending around $200 for an effect that I might use for 2 or 3 songs (out of 40) a night.

Anyway, If you have tried the Guyatone BR-2 and you have any thoughts or comments, please reply. Thanks.

2. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just in case anyone is interested, here is a link to an audio sample put together by Justin Meldal-Johnsen. The audio sample showcases the Guyatone MD-2 Digital Delay, PS-3 Phase Shifter, and the BR-2 Bottom Wah Rocker.

http://www.guyatone.com/artists/meldal-johnsen.html

After hearing this audio sample (titled Catastrophe, Amigo), I have decided that for $69, I can't go wrong...

3. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I took a chance and purchased one from Musicians Friend without hearing it first...

Well, the chance paid off! I am very pleased with this pedal :D !

Let me start out by saying that to me, the EBS Bass I.Q. is the Holy Grail of envelope filters.
    With that being said, I think the Guyatone BR-2 comes very close (to my ears) to the EBS in the "Hi-Q" position. The BR-2 doesn't have the 3-position Hi-Q, Up, and Down switch like the EBS, so it's pretty much a one-trick-pony. But, that one trick is exactly the sound I wanted out of an envelope filter. To top it all off, I think the Guyatone Mini pedals look pretty cool too :cool: !

The Guyatone BR-2 is one funky little pedal!

Now, I have to start looking for a good bass distortion pedal :eek: !
    Has there been any threads about these? :D

4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    No bass distortion-threads from what I've heard...

I've got nothing to share with you on this subject, but I am interested in these envelope thingies, and I'll try one in the future. (lot's of things gonna happen there, I tell you)
    I'm intrigued by that Line-6 one, you seem to be able to get a lot of weird sounds from these.

I've never seen a guyatone pedal in Holland, but I'll look around.