Has anyone tried the Minwax polurethane spray?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wolak, Mar 6, 2005.

1. What were your results? How durable is it? How difficult to apply?

I've just finished my bass with danish oil and it looks great, but it's not really very hard. I was wondering if it was worth trying a satin or semigloss polyurethane spray or acrylic spray over it to make it more durable. . .or will I lose that natural look.

2. Yes, I did a maple/maple neck with it and it worked pretty well. It took lots of coats to approximate a factory style finish but it was durable and crystal clear.

Don't forget to warm your can before spraying. Also, I like to wetsand every 3rd coat or so.
  3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    So Ryan where are the photos?...t
  4. My first attempt building my own bass using a Carvin neck.
  5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Came out nice!
  6. Very nice! Do you like the Carvin neck?
  7. I haven't strung it up yet but it does feel very well built and comfortable to me. Carvin does nice work.
  8. Hmmm, if my eyes don't decieve me, there's something goin' on around here... :D

You've made some modifications to that neck blank haven't you? :eyebrow:
  9. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That's your FIRST attempt? WOW! Looks great!
    I was also considering using one of their necks for a future project so I'm interested as well in your take on it.

10. The only alteration I've made is cutting it shorter and I glued up mahogany and wenge strips to the body wings to give the appearance of a 7 piece neck. Plus I rounded the heel of the neck to flow into the body wings. Now I have effortless access to the 24th fret.
  11. Well. . .I guess it's more like an appearance of a 9 piece neck with the thin wenge strips. It's not noticeable in the pict. I will post more soon.
  12. Wolly, I was referring to the twin center stripes - they don't show those in their catalog or the website. Do they come on the neckthroughs?
  13. Yes, they do come as an option. I believe you can do maple with koa stripes, maple with walnut stripes and mahogony with maple stripes. They do have more options than their catalogs and website show, I guess you just have to ask. My neck was an extra $100 due to the koa, but it's the look I wanted. I think they even do variations of their stains.
  14. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What's teh headstock look like? Is it the typical angular Carvin style, or did you (wisely) choose the paddle style for customizing? If you did the latter, what's your design look like? The body is beautiful- great woods! And that Danish Oil is sweet...congrats! :D
  15. Thanks Bassic83. . .

The bass came with the Carvin style headstock, but it can be ordered with a blank headstock. My bass will be a headless, hence the cutout at the bridge. I've always wanted a cool looking headless bass. I have a hohner copy and was going to refinish it, but decided to build one instead. I like the tuners at my right hand and have always found them to always stay in tune. . .I guess they are harder to bump. I think the bass will be very light and comfortable to play. My design was based on the Spector, Warwick and Jerzy Drozd type of look. Probably more like Jerzy Drozd's basses. I think he is making some of the most incredible looking basses around.
  16. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    looks much better than my carvin neck-through bass!!! (I'm too embarrassed to post pics of it)
    job well done! that maple looks really good too! nice figure.
  17. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i received my 5 string fretless bolt on neck from them last week. i own a carvin 6 string so i knew i would be satisfied with purchasing a neck from them...i wasnt wrong.

so, how does building with a neck through work? do you glue the body wings on then carve them down to match the neck shape?
  18. Yes. You basically cut out the body wings, make sure they are the same thickness as the neck and glue them to the neck. Then I sanded down the back of the neck to blend with the body. I'm sure some people glu the wing to the neck before cutting out the shape, but I found it easier for me to cut the shape first - route the roundover edges and then glue. There was some sliding of the wings when I was glueing the to the neck. I used the leftover pieces from the body wings to kind of make the piece square again (so you have a flat surface to clamp to). I also routed a line down the middle of the bottom wing about 3" long so when I routed the pickup cavities I already have a hole to put the wires through.
  19. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    good fore thought.

thanks for the info.
  20. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey Hambone,

On the Carvin neck through blanks, you can order any option that they offer for their completed instruments (birdseye fingerboard, block inlays, lined fretless, koa neck with maple stringers, etc.... etc....), you just end up paying the same price as you would for that option on a completed bass.