Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone tried the new Digitech Distortion Factory on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HalfManHalfBass, Aug 7, 2005.

1. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi everyone,

I'm after a versatile overdrive/distortion for my home rig/looper setup and have stumbled across this new pedal. It looks very appealing because it has many models and types of fuzz/overdrive/distortion with a 3 band eq.

I have read however, that the 'Metal Zone type' model has very little bottom end, which on bass could obviously become a real problem, even though I only really intend to use this pedal for noodling around at home with and for building loops etc....

Any experience/suggestions/comments anyone? As ever, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i have not used this pedal but it looks ok to me. the only advice i can offer would be to use it with a blending unit of some sort (LS-2, looper) so as to retain the uneffected bass signal to combat low end loss.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Personally I wouldn't bother if the thing is right for your needs buying more pedals won't help that, I never understood why people buya big muff for x amount and a ls-2 for y amount but won't buy a boutique pedal for less than the combined cost of the ls-2 and big muff, that doesn't lose low end.

So look for something else, otherwise you'll just spend loads making something that sounds average sound a little bit better but never great.

Hope this helps

4. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Many thanks for your help/opinions guys!

I don't really want to buy any additional pedals like the LS-2 to try and 'correct' any deficiencies it may have, so I may just leave buying it for now and see what else is around....

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i guess it depends.. there might be something in the distortion factory that is somewhat unique. i think it can do quite a few different emulted distortion sounds, and short of a multi fx, i cant think of a boutique pedal that offers that..

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    But are 7 bad sounds that lose bass better than 1 sound that cuts through the mix, doesn't need any additional pedals, has great bass response.

I have 8-10 distortions and such that I use reguarly now if some one made a pedal like the digitech with all these sounds in I would still not buy as I need to have these pedals already set up in my chain with there particular settings, opposed to bending downa nd twidling knobs during the song or so on.

I would venture a guess that some one will buy this pedal fine there ideal setting and leave it at that, so if no setting suits your needs then this is not the pedal for you.

Cheers

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yes i do agree with you in principle but without having played with it i dont want to summarily dismiss it.

i guess the thing is though, the distortion factory isnt made for bass and so i suggested a blending option if halfmanhalfbass has his heart set on this pedal.

For me, i would much rather have pedals that dont of themselves lose bass, but if i found one that i liked the sound of, i would certainly consider blending it. i have an ls2 and the way i justified buying it, quite aside from its blending capability, was the fact that it can power other pedals and is relatively flexible with regards to its channel selection options.

8. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi everyone again! Ok, here's the update!

I saw a review of this pedal in Guitarist magazine this morning, so based upon this I took the plunge and bought one today! Remember, I really just wanted a versatile overdrive/distortion for noodling around at home with my basses and looper pedal / stuff and was mainly concerned if this pedal totally robbed the bass end of my basses-like I had heard.

I never had any intention of using this pedal live, infact I would never use any pedal live with bass as I am of the opinion that the more pedals and varables involved, (when playing live) it usually means more hassle and worries of malfunction, (plus your average audience member wouldn't know or care what effects you use or to what degree you might be compromising your live tone when vibe and performance are far more important to them!)

Anyway, it works really well, I'm not interested in the authenticity of any of the particular models-despite the fact I have owned most of them in the past as separate pedals-but the distortions/overdrives/options are nothing if not varied and I'm sure with my particular rig at home in Italy it will be more than adequate. There are also different cabinet emulators too, so I can decide whether I want a fizzy/fuzz like tone (by bypassing them) or a more 'amplike distortion' tone.

The other side of this pedal is that should I ever get the urge to play any electric guit*r on the loops I make, it will work well too!

In all, I'm a happy camper with this pedal, but I realise my requirement are very peculiar to me.

P.S. the paint graphics on the pedal match the carbon graphite pattern on the necks of my Status basses, so how could it fail to impress me?!!

Thanks for all your help/opinions over the last few days!

Regards,

Rob.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    glad you are happy with it. how do you rate the bass signal loss after playing with it? (for the those of us who might one day consider buying it)

10. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi Xan! I would say the bass loss is non existant, at least to these ears!

You can dial in a ton of bottom end using the bass control and when using mild overdrive type sounds, (like the Ibanez TS9 model) I could easily set it to have even more bass than the clean uneffected signal using this dial.

In all, I think it's pretty damn good. I haven't been able to play it at real loud volumes, (which I know is sometimes the maker or breaker with these things) but I can't forsee any problems and at least with my gear in the UK it seems a great little pedal.

Regards,

Rob.

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Cool! one day if you get a chance, maybe you can post some sound clips.. its a bit of a hassle i know, but quite valuable to talkbass.

adios