1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone tried these EMG PJ sets?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GeorgeSteph, Jan 11, 2021.

1. GeorgeSteph

GeorgeSteph

Apr 15, 2020
  2. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    I’ve just installed the EMG PJAX set in a Yamaha BB234. Very pleased. Easy to install and room in the control cavity for the battery. The P is nice and full. The J is a bit thin and quieter so I’ve raised it close to the strings to compensate. The PJ combination is very similar to my J basses when in JJ combination. Fairly scooped but I like that. I had an EMG Geezer in a P bass and the sound is fairly similar to the P in the PJAX set.

These pickups have a big dynamic range so you hear higher frequencies that may not be apparent with a passive pickup which has more winds so more emphasis on mids. This can be tamed with the tone control. On its own it can sound a little harsh but once in the mix with other instruments you appreciate that extra top end sizzle.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have a long history with the standard issue P/J set. It's got a modern tonality and they balance well. If I didn't still have a set in my parts drawer for the next time I install an EMG P/J set, I would go for the PA/JA combo.

BasEd likes this.
  5. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    The A in the name means it’s an Alnico magnet which I prefer. V in the name (Vintage) also means Alnico. Otherwise it’s Ceramic.

X means it’s using the newer preamp in the pickup which is supposed to have more head room so maybe a little brighter. I’ve tried the PAX/JAX and PAX/JVX combinations in my PJ bass but they sound very similar so I keep the PAX/JAX. The JVX has more output than the JAX so the JAX needs to be closer to the strings (about 1mm) to balance with the PAX.

6. The Petro

The Petro

Dec 29, 2020
    CT
    I installed do the standard active EMG PJ set a few months ago.
    I replaced an old EMG P set.
    I like it a lot. Due to my lack of Pup experience, I was sold on the solderless connections. I did need to get a long stereo jack and did solder that.
    The neck Pups are strong and can over power the J. But turn down the volume on the bridge , max out J and it sounds great.

7. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    Cool, was the replacement simple? I have a pair of EMGs in one of my basses and I'd like to upgrade to the "X's." Was it just "plug and play?"

8. The Petro

The Petro

Dec 29, 2020
    CT
    Yes the replacement was simple. I did have to open the J hole in the body at the corners ( old Ibanez from 92). As I did not install the the original P set, I don’t know if he did modify the holes at all.
    the only thing you will need of foam for a spacer. I used the foam packing from the box of pickups. I read that online it worked great.
    Then figure out the best height for the pickups to the string.
    For my first time at ever changing pickups, it was pretty fast.
    Just pick your specific wiring diagram in the instructions and read it over a few times.

Drifter8230 likes this.
  9. The Petro

The Petro

Dec 29, 2020
    CT
    Edit, you might need to see if you other EMGs are soldered or solderless.

Drifter8230 likes this.
  10. The Petro

The Petro

Dec 29, 2020
    CT
    Also if you go to the EMG website, you can look at the installation instructions beforehand to see what you are in for.

11. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    Awesome info, thank you! Good idea with the foam, I didn't know that was a thing. I went from passive pickups to EMGs so I had a tech do it. The EMGs were HOT I lowered them almost all the way into the bass :D

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021