Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone tried these inlays?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by egb41, Oct 17, 2003.

1. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    not yet..but i plan on getting some for my eb-3....lets see how it goes...i think im going to do a design rather than blocks...

any ideas?

steve

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey Eric..not really inlays, but stickers. I have seen pics of basses with them, and they actually look pretty good. Hippiesandwich on the Dudepit had a Jazz bass with those, I suggest you mail him for more info....

4. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I am very soon going to try them. Just bought a set.

My warwicks gonna look groovy :)

5. Hippiesandwich's bass looks awesome too!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Which one? I think that he owns hundreds. No, seriously...

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    WHat about if you wanted to remove them later?

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Then you peel them off and clean of the fretboard with adhesive remover,

steve

9. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Yup, I took a aquamarine metallic Fender Jazz V and gave it the abalone block "inlay" treatment and it did look pretty cool. I don't own the bass anymore (traded it towards another Benavente Vortex :)), so I don't have pics online at the moment, but I can post some later this evening if you want to see. They were pretty easy to work, although it is worth noting that while they are removeable, removing them destroys them (they can't be re-used).

10. His aquamarine metallic Fender Jazz V.

I am a member at the DudePit and I have seen the pictures!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. oval would look pretty cool.:cool:

12. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I sent them several emails and never got a single answer, they look great but the customer service is bad :meh:

13. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    from the hippiesandwich archives:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Well I appreciate all of the responses.:) Icertainly didn't realize that there were so many people aware of this ?? "technique":rolleyes: Thanks for sending the pics hippiesandwich it does look awesome. I've learned in my few years on earth that when something looks too good to be true..... I guess that I will have to keep saving for that Smith/Tobias/Alembic/Benavante/Lakland/FendercustomJazz:bassist:

15. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Thanks for the picpost hippy. Looks great! I was waiting for your pic.

Thats a pau ferro FB on that lovely specimen right? Outstanding job! Man I can't wait to see these with wenge wood.

16. Not bad, not bad at all. Are those the 'pre-cut' (link) product for your bass??? Or did you have to cut those.

17. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Those "blocks" were cut from larger sheets. I didn't get the aquamarine/abalone thing out of my system though, so I had Chris Benavante build me this! :D
    [​IMG]

18. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    too bad they don't have black blocks. I'd love to put them on my OLP to have a "Geddy Lee" Stingray

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

I have a picture of that bass saved on my computer from some other thread -- I love that look! It's gorgeous! The colour, the wood, the binding on the neck, the inlays...all of it. Beautiful! This guy does real works of art.