Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone tried those generic Aluminum effects/boards from Rondo Music?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marc40a, Feb 13, 2004.

1. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Has anyone tried those generic Aluminum effects/boards from Rondo Music?

I wouldn't go on a world tour with them but they seem to be pretty decent for the price...especially for a pedal setup in development.

Anyone have experience w/ them?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump; those look cool and the price is great.

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm just waiting for them to get the large sizes in. I'm gonna pick up one of their biggest ones and a medium.

I have the CNB rack cases, and while they're not the highest quality, they are tough, good looking, and reliable.

4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I have not, but they look great for the money. I'd worry about the metal backing sliding on a hard floor.

If anywants something powered and softer, here's what I got. Click link to check it out. Great for the money too!

My pedal board

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Yeah, I hear ya' Brock.

I was thinking about superglueing some rubber foam to the bottom or picking up something from the Home Depot to throw on there.

6. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Home Depot has nothing in terms of little rubber feet to screw on there. I know. I looked for another project.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've got one I picked up to replace a homemade pedalboard I put together. IIRC I picked up the medium one. I've got a Boss TU-2 tuner, a Boss LS-2 line selector, a Zoom BFX-708, a Dunlop MXR M-80 and a power strip on it. There's room for a little more if I get something else.

It's pretty decently put together. The only two things about it that can be annoying are:

#1 - the pedalboard part does have a small lip - so with a standard Boss-type pedal you have to leave enough room next to the side to get the input jack into it. I suppose I could get around it by putting something on the bottom of the pedal to raise it up enough that the lip wouldn't get in the way but I just make sure I leave enough room (since I don't have it crammed full).

#2 - there was no "egg crate" (or whatever you call it) foam in the top to keep the pedals in place. As-is if you store it on edge the pedals aren't being held other than by the velcro which gives up and everything slides to one side. I "fixed" that by locating some foam and putting it in the top. Now the pedals are held in place by the foam when the case is closed and I can store it any way I want (that was my main reason for getting it - so I can store the pedal board on-edge and carry it with a single hand rather than having to keep it horizontal.

The hinges don't look super heavy-duty but they've held up so far.

For the price I think it was a decent deal. It makes life easier hauling the pedalboard around (my homemade one was too big to fit in any of the bags I had to put gear in and had to be stored and transported flat).

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    To get around those two problems I recommend NYCpedalboards.com. For about $100, you can get a great board without any of these problems. Check 'em out.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got the large one & it's certainly worth the price. Putting extra foam in the top & moving the pedals a little away from the lip is no big deal.

10. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I just got a medium version. seems pretty sturdy to me--and while I'm not thrilled about the plastic handle, all in all it's better than some more expensive and certainly better than building one from scratch that would cost more in time and $$.
    Mine did come with some foam on the top to protect the pedals when it's closed---not sure if it's enough, it might require adding another thin layer but there is about 1/2" to 1" there already. Also think I'm gonna glue some rubber pads on the bottom--like maybe the kind you can get for the bottom of table legs--just so it doesn't go "walking" across the floor while playing.

You just can't go wrong if you want a decent pedal board and not go broke getting it....it's solid.

anyways...it's worth it in my opinion. Thanks Kurt---another thumbs up! :cool:

11. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    Thank you for the comments. – Unfortunately we are now sold out of all sizes except the smallest. We have 3 larger sizes coming – including the medium spoken about above, a 27 ½ x 11 ¾ and a 29 ½ x 15 ¾ by user request.

The rubber pads sound like a good idea. So perhaps we will incorporate in the future. If anyone has a system they like and they want to email me so photos, that would be great.

I placed my order for the new sizes already so any additional changes would not happen until the fall.

Also I was working on some kind of universal power supply as well (120 V in – 1 or 2 120V out and maybe 6 9V outs). Is there any demand for something like that? I know there are several models out already, but I am not sure how many people would really be interested and I was trying to come up with something in the $99 or less range.

Kurt
    Rondo Music

12. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    When do you expect those in, Kurt?

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't have pictures Kurt, but the power supply idea sounds great. You might want to consider making the wires usable w/ multiple endplugs -- a lot of the power supplies only work w/ Boss type pedals, not DOD, TE, or several other makes. The rubber feet are also a good idea. Also, making the tray lip smaller or getting rid of it all together would be great.

And thanks again for being so open to player feedback!

14. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    I think the tray lip is necessary for the box to close and stay closed properly? So I am not sure on a better design there. Ok, I like the multiple tip idea.

This process takes a long time, so there there will be no changes in the pedal case until at least the fall, maybe longer

Kurt

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Kurt, it can be done by either lowering the lip, or raising the floor of the pedalboard so that the cables can clear the pedals when plugged in. It's just a matter of relation of location of the floor and the lip.

16. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    Ok, so just to be clear. If we lower the "lip" that's on the side that the pedals are mounted on - lower the height and increase the height of the side of the case the pedals are not mounted on?

Kurt

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That would do the trick. Basically just moving the lip to a place that doesn't interfere with the jacks. If you subtract it from the bottom and add it to the top, same storage space ;)

18. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It would be easy to keep a rectangular section of "drawer-liner" material rolled up inside the case, then simply place it underneath the board on slippery floors... this is the same stuff you'll find in Home Depot sold as a a "router pad". Basically holds the item you're routing in place via friction only.

19. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    Thx for all the great suggestions!

Kurt