Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone tried TI Jazz rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gbenner, Dec 18, 2002.

1. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I use the Jazz flats, and love the sound, I was wondering how the Jazz rounds compare sound wise.

Thanks
    George

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The TI jazz rounds are my string of choice. I find them to feel almost like a flat with a very small diameter and very tightly wound outer wrap. They are brighter than the flats with a bit more output. Their tone is very clear and ringing without the power and strong overtones of the Power Bass strings. For my kind of work, they are perfect.

Mike Dimin
    www.michaeldimin.com

3. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Thanks for getting back to me Mike. What I love about the flats is the full deep bottom, if thats still there they might be worth a try

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got Powerbass, Jazz Flats, and Jazz Rounds on various basses, and while I like them all for different things, I have really fallen for the Jazz Rounds as my main string. I've put them on my MIA 75 Jazz Reissue, my US Curbow 6 string fretless, and my Curbow 8 string fretless (bottom strings only).

They are absolutely effortless to play, and sound better than any other string to my ears. plenty of usable tone. Nice and full. I also find that they respond better to different right hand positioning, too.

If you want to hear them, here's a scratch mp3 of my new trio:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/FreakoutPillow.mp3

That's the Jazz with JRetro/Fralin pickups with Jazz Rounds. I really love the way they sit in the mix.

The smaller windings and lower tension make them the perfect match with Ken Smith piccolo strings on the fretless 8.

They even sound pretty good when you slap them (admittedly not as good as the Powerbass, though).

5. That's nice tune mr. monkeee! And a very nice sounding bass too :) Gotta try those strings sometime, but I'm afraid I won't like the tension. Will they stand up for hard playing, or do you have to be gentle?

6. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I've got a set of Powerbass on my EMG'ed 5 strings.

It was kind of a deception... I always read about their warmth, but they are too trebly to me... tried the JFs and they are MUCH better, but they lack the little clank on slapping... Not mention they are WAY heavy (.47 G) to my taste.

Ok... the output is nice, but that's all (at least to me)

I was wondering on how the jazz rounds would behave in a 'modern' situation (slapping, tapping).

Nice fingerstyle tone, bassmonkeee, do you slap on them? How does It sound?

Mike, were any of your mp3.com samples recorded with jr's?? Nice music there, by the way...

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  8. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Would be the JRs my perfect string?

Nice warmth, some zing, smooth feel, low tension...

hmmmm... :D

Thanks for the link, Mike!

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Seattle
    I checked both links to samples above, but both appear outdated.

Anybody have Samples of TI Jazz Rounds?