1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone used a Gotoh 203 bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Conaanthebarbar, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Conaanthebarbar

Conaanthebarbar

Dec 2, 2009
    I installed a gotoh 201 (high mass) bridge on my fender mim Pbass a while ago. I like the tone, but it doesn't allow the action to go as low as I want it because the barrells on the bridge are quite a bit larger than the stock bridge. I've been looking into the gotoh 203, which has more of a vintage look. My question is, are the barrells on the 203 smaller than that of the 201? If you've used the 203 let me know what you think of it!

2. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I used one on a fretless, I wanted to get rid of the threaded saddles ala Fender Vintage bridges, and I wanted nickel finish. The Gotoh 203 is a fine bridge. It fits the five hole Fender pattern but adds two screws out on the plate as well. It's solid brass, much beefier than the Fender, and the nickel plating on the one I had was terrific. If you want a vintage style "bent plate" bridge you won't find a nicer made one. I eventually sold the body that this was on and replaced it with a Hipshot vintage style on the new body. The Hipshot has the advantage (if you like it anyway) of quick mount string holes. I'm happy with it, though the finish on the Gotoh was better. As to barrel size, I don't know how it compares with the 201, except that the plate is thinner, I imagine it would adjust slightly lower.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If you shim the neck a little your current bridge will work.

4. Conaanthebarbar

Conaanthebarbar

Dec 2, 2009
    Thanks for the info guys! Unfortunately I've already shimmed the neck and can't seem to get the results I want. The neck on my bass is subpar. I am however planning on replacing the neck with a warmoth neck, so maybe that will make a difference too.