1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

has anyone used Bryston amps for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paulraphael, Apr 19, 2006.

1. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    They'd be on the heavy side, and all the way on the pricey side, but I bet they'd sound amazing. One of the few power amp companies that does well in the high end recording and mastering studio world and also in the home stereo world. The 20 year warranty isn't a bad deal either.

http://www.bryston.ca/14bsstpro_m.html

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Unfortunately, most amps made for home and the Studio do not have the constructions (chasis, etc.) for heavy road use. Perhaps with a shock mount case (more weight) or in a single location application they would work well. But I would not want to bang them up on the road. Plus I don't have roadies, weight IS a factor!

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I used a Bryston 2B (60w stereo, 150w mono 8ohm) with an RBI and aguilar GS112.

it was a nice fat sound, but a little mushy maybe due to lack of power. and I couldn't run 4ohms loads, even bryston told me not to do 4ohms

IF you have a bryston lying around, try it, but I wouldn't buy one just for bass.

I would buy one for a great stereo amp!!!! I'm thinking about getting a 4bsst in the future.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Back when Brysons first came out they were being used on the road with some touring sound companies. They seemed to stand up fine. Of course, about the only other competition then in solid state was Crown.

I used to have a couple BGW amps in a rack for my touring rig. They were pretty good too.

5. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Bryston is the BADDEST, most rugged amp out on the market. Sure they're heavy, buy man, there's no substitute for good old iron! Their 20 year warrantee does not exclude road use. If you can afford the watts, and can carry the weight, buy one. You'll never want another amp.
    One major bass only amp company that everyone seems to love(but will remain nameless here), reverse engineered a 4B SST for their power section. That should say something.
    Corey

6. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Oh, come on! Hint!

7. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Nope!

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Let's just say that there are A LOT of people on these threads that are using them.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Of course such a claim would have to be substantiated.

10. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    True. I would take any claim like that with a grain of salt, unless it was being made by a third party who had actually examined the topography of both amps.

Also, to reverse engineer a bryston and to make one with the same design at the same quality level would cost about as much as a bryston. and weigh about as much.