Has Anyone Used La Bella Flatwounds on a Spirit by Steinberger Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrmxyzptlk, May 29, 2018.

1. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk

Jul 16, 2008
    La Bella claims that their double ball strings are not for use on Spirit instruments. I emailed them to ask why. They replied that they really didn't know for certain whether or not the strings would work on a Spirit, and that I should contact Headless USA for a definitive answer. I wrote to Headless USA, and they responded that they hadn't had any complaints or returns from customers attempting to use La Bella strings on a Spirit.

So I still don't have a conclusive answer. Since La Bella seems to be the only game in town for double ball flatwound strings, and since these strings are pretty expensive ($50 and up per set), I'd like to ask the hive mind at TalkBass if you've had experience with La Bella flatwounds (or any La Bella strings) on a Spirit bass, and if so, how it worked out for you. Thanks in advance!

swyzlstyx likes this.
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    4 string or 5 string?

3. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk

Jul 16, 2008
    Mine is a four-string (XT-2), but I'd welcome stories from either four- or five-string owners.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I think it has to do with the ball ends not sure. They should work on that though. It's the synapse they don't work on the 5 string.

5. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Status do a set which are pretty good actually and a decent price

6. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk

Jul 16, 2008
  7. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Ah, beg your pardon sir, I didn’t consider flatwounds, as personally I don’t go for them!

Sorry!

When I was looking at what to get I am pretty sure I read people were using them fine, but please don’t take that as gospel!

Good luck

8. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk

Jul 16, 2008
    I've taken the plunge and ordered a set of La Bella S500L light flatwounds (.043-.104). I'll report back here and note for posterity whether or not they fit my Spirit by Steinberger bass. I'll probably also let La Bella know, so that they can correct the information on their site. :)

In case anyone is interested, the best price I was able to find for these strings was at Strings by Mail. Unfortunately they were back ordered, but I was willing to wait a little longer in order to save a few bucks.

Cuzzie likes this.
  9. Thanks for trying the set out! Unfortunately we won't be able to say they work for all Spirits as we get complaints from time to time that they don't work on certain Spirits. We wish we didn't have to say that disclaimer!

10. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk

Jul 16, 2008
    FYI: I just received the La Bella S500L string set today, and installed the strings on my Spirit by Steinberger XT-2 bass. They work fine.

swyzlstyx likes this.
  11. The La Bella double ball black tapes work fine on my Spirit XT Bass. Rolled the dice on this one last week and I am glad I did.

JRT64 likes this.