Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone used one of the new Kustom amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luigi, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    Hi all, first post here and you can tell I'm a newbie :D I haven't read a lot of comments on the newer Kustom amps, anyone using one? Maybe to practice by yourself. If you've played one, especially the larger ones (65w and 100w), how would you rate the sound?

2. Stomniar

Stomniar

Dec 5, 2003
    Spring Hill FL
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspHello there, I became a member just to leave feedback for you! Heh, well, I was going to, just pushed me to do so earlier than I had planned. I own a 100w Kustom bass amp. I bought it brand new about 2 1/2 almost 3 years ago, so I do not know how much has changed with them. I have been using it to practice on. I do like it, it is more than enough for practicing, alone or with a band. However, I think if you wanted to play shows, you would have to get something a bit more (i.e. head and cabnet(s)) or a larger combo wattage, what ever your preference is. Ok, I'll move on to the review of the way it sounds.
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspThe best thing I can say is to play on and tweak with it. I have found that I can tweak it to sound like whatever I want to play. Of course, you have to make sure adjust your bass as well.
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOn mine, there are 8 effects, 4 chorus 2 different echos and 2 different flange. I do stress however, do not let the effects decide for you! I wish I would have had someone smack me and tell me that. I though, wow! Cool! I have on board effects, well, I hardly ever use them. There are 6 eq adjustment knobs. Adjusting those allow you to change to the sound you want. The only problem that I think I have with it, is I've played a lower wattage amp and it sounded better than mine. Be sure to check it out and play with it thoroughly and if you can with your bass, it will sound different. Then again, like I mentioned earilier, I don't know if they changed things or not. You are better off playing as many different amps in your price range as you can, don't be afriad to visit the music store a few times or so. If they pressure you to buy things, then either tell them if they don't stop you are going to leave, or don't go back to them.
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspSummary, good for practice and small small shows, and IMO allows you to tweak it to sound like any music genre. Hope I've been of some help. I'll add anything else if I think of it.
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspTake it easy, and keep playing!

3. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    Hey, thanks Stomniar for the comments. The reason why I asked is because I have a 65w Kustom which I bought about a year ago for $130. At the time I had just picked up bass practicing after years of not playing and looking at the few specs on the amp and the price I thought I had nothing to lose. Well, for 130 bucks, I think this amp sounds good. I had been practicing with a friend's Peavey TKO75 and the sound just wasn't doing it for me, no matter how much I tweaked the EQ. With this little puppy I can really change the sound when I play with the EQ, and having a 12" Celestion is already worth the price alone. Again, I'm a newbie and my ears are not as discriminating as those that have been playing for a long time and using a variety of amps and basses. That's why I was hoping that more people may have just tried one of these amps and could give me their opinion. There are other newbies out there and this may be an option to the Crates, Behringers, Peaveys or Rogues out there. To me, I think I'll keep it at least for practicing. Eventually I'll move to something bigger and better...

4. Stomniar

Stomniar

Dec 5, 2003
    Spring Hill FL
    You got that amp for a pretty decent price. I don't care much for Peavey, I have never really liked their equipment. You said that you picked up your bass again, how long have you been playing or played before? What kind of bass do you have? I plan on upgrading to better equipment when I get a chance to do so, which because of lack of funds, could be a while. Bigger and better, it seems it is what one is always looking for.:)

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my guitarist just got one of the new modeling guitar ones and it kicks major A$$. If theyre bass amps are anything similiar id say go for their new ones.

6. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    Well, I started out playing guitar and picked up the bass for a couple of years before I had to get rid of my bass and put everything on hold for personal reasons. I didn't play bass for seven years and last year I gave myself a Yamaha BB405 as a birthday gift and like I said I was using my friend's Peavey until I got my Kustom amp. I just started practicing with a band and so far it seems to work ok as long as we don't play loud rock pieces where the drummer just overpowers me. Hopefully I'll be upgrading my gear soon but it looks like I will keep my Kustom for smaller gigs and for practice. Thanks guys for the comments ;)