Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has Anyone Used Rotosound Solo Bass 55s?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 3, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm really interested in these strings. Musician's Friend claims that these strings reduce fret noise and wear, but still have the brightness of regular roundwounds.

For what it's worth, I play in a hard rock/old school metal band, and I like a mid-heavy, somewhat growly tone.

Anyone care to review them? Thanks.

Graeme

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Yes, I use the 55's quite a bit, especially on my fretless basses. They have a smoother feel and a bit more midrange
    than the regular RS66 Swing Bass set. Give them a try, I think you'll like them.

Cheers,
    Slug

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Cool, thanks for the info. More midrange... That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I've heard that these strings are actually compressed into an oval-ish shape. Does this take a while to get used to?

Thanks,
    Graeme

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    It's just the the outer wire wrap that is compressed or flattened a bit as its wound onto the core so it feels smoother. The string itself is still perfectly round. Just string up your bass and enjoy.

Slug

5. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    FYI, while I can't personally comment on them (I'll take flats, thank-you), there are audio-clips at Rotosound.com; go to the bass strings section.