Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anyone used the bartolini 9Js?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 19, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    ya know, the "pbass pair" in a j box

they seem really cool. i'm guessing they get a cool mix of p and j.

2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    ooooohhhh, what would these do to my thumb bass?!?!?

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i dunno. but i like the sound of them. alot. and the price.

bartolinis must be the bets pups for the dollar.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I think I'd like the newer Classics better. I thought the 9J's were a little shy of aggressive abilities in the top end for my uses. I think there was another J from that period I liked better - maybe the 9K...

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    so get the 9CBjs maybe.

6. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I had the 9j's in my fretless jazz, replaced the fralin singles that came with the bass. (fwiw, the Fralins were a bit too aggressive for my taste) Liked the 9j's well enough, but they did take some getting used to. I just replaced them with a set of Jason Lollar single coils, thinking I was a single coil man. The bass sounds a bit fuller maybe, has more of a pianoish ring, but now the noise is killing me! I had it done at the local shop, and after I play it out a couple of times (out of my living room, at least), I'll probably have the 9j's put back. They are so quiet, I dig the sound.... I use a boss loopstation, and the 9j's were perfect for that.
    I'm calling it money well spent, because I always wondered what my fav singles would sound like in this particular jazz, and now I know.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a set in my Hamer fretless... nice dark tone.

here is a track I recorded with it

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i just got off the phone with william villex, actually. and i'm mighty impressed. and they aren;t too expensive either. i think i'm going to go with the villex js, actually. sounds like an excellent pickup.

-pc

9. I tried the 9J1's out. They are a little lower volume, clean, darker sounding than standard J. Not really what I wanted. They would be very nice with a good preamp though.

10. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i thought that when you had 2 js wired together they cancel hum. ?

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if they're single coils, then only when both pickups are on full.

Bartolini make good pickups, although I have to say I'm in general a bigger fan of the pickups they make to luthier custom specifications. For instance, the J's have that rolled off high end that annoys me. But my MTD has custom Bart soapbars in there and the bass sounds GREAT.

Villex stuff sounds great too, bigger frequency response range than the Barts imo. You'll find a link in the pickups faq to a thread with soundclips of various J pickups in a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

12. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Anyone played the Classic Bass series?

13. This only works if the pickups are wired in reverse of each other so that hum cancels out.

14. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    The 9j's came in 2 different windings the #1 and the #4. I had the #1's which were wound with a more vintage tone. I had them in a fretless with a Demeter pre and they sounded outstanding. Bart has since discontinued them.

Doug

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    mine are #1 and I run them passive.

16. mikekim

mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    CA
    I have them on a custom made fretless and they sound great. I have some clips in my computer but I don't know where to host them....

17. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    I had the info reversed. The #4's are more vintage. Each pickup wound with equal brightness. The #1's have the deep neck and bright bridge set up.

18. I've got a set of 9CBJS in my SJB-75. IMO, they are not dark or veiled sounding like most Bartolini pickups. I find them slightly low output, but overall a nice, smooth, open-sounding tone....

19. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Would you say they are a warm sounding pick up?
    How are the lows and low mids?

20. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I had some 9J1's in a Fender Jazz with 70's spacing. They were my favorite jazz pickup I've tried.

Have yet to try out any Nordies or Aeros though.