Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone used the Marcus Miller pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tekhna, Apr 21, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
  2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I didn't like it at all, took it out of my MM, replaced the pickups too (single coil Jason Lollars).

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I bought a set of MM pups and the pre came with it but seems the pre had those fat, short-stem Fender pots and wouldn't fit in any of my basses. At any rate, I had abandoned pre's anyway and the sold pre and kept the pups.

I read some reviews on the MM basses and got the impression there were some reservations with the pre. Personally I've found some consistency with pre's in general (aggies/ barts, whatever) noticeably choking down some pups - especially if the pups have a rawness about them. To date, the Marcus Miller pups are among the best I've ran through my stuff. I picked up a second set without a pre to check them against the first set. Not exact but close. I sold them to a guy that said a Sadowsky owner told him it turned his bass into a poormans' Sadowsky.

But $30 is pretty cheap.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, for the price, I'd jump on it, but I've played severall MMs, and I was disappointed with the pre every single time.