Has anyone used the Marcus Miller pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tekhna, Apr 21, 2005.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
  2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I didn't like it at all, took it out of my MM, replaced the pickups too (single coil Jason Lollars).
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I bought a set of MM pups and the pre came with it but seems the pre had those fat, short-stem Fender pots and wouldn't fit in any of my basses. At any rate, I had abandoned pre's anyway and the sold pre and kept the pups.

I read some reviews on the MM basses and got the impression there were some reservations with the pre. Personally I've found some consistency with pre's in general (aggies/ barts, whatever) noticeably choking down some pups - especially if the pups have a rawness about them. To date, the Marcus Miller pups are among the best I've ran through my stuff. I picked up a second set without a pre to check them against the first set. Not exact but close. I sold them to a guy that said a Sadowsky owner told him it turned his bass into a poormans' Sadowsky.

But $30 is pretty cheap.
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, for the price, I'd jump on it, but I've played severall MMs, and I was disappointed with the pre every single time.