Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anyone used yorkville amplifiers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris griffiths, Oct 1, 2002.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I'm considering getting a Yorkville 200 watt bass amplifier with two 10's and a horn. It's fairly inexpensive and it sounded pretty good to me I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the yorkville product

2. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    It's a terrific amp for the money. I've had occasion to use one a number of times and I think it's good value.

3. I've used these amps on occasion and are a good value for the price. I found the tweeter the weakest link. It sounds "detached" from the rest of the drivers. It didn't really blend that well with speakers.

4. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
  5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I own and play through the 115 version of the BM200 line. It's a 2000 model that I have rehearsed with and gigged with for a year.

It was a vast improvement at the time that I upgraded, but I find myself looking for more these days. I added a SansAmp Bass Driver DI (stomp version) to the signal and that added much more meaty tone and depth to my sound, but it's still pretty sterile and boomy at loud volumes - no clarity. I can attribute part of that to my plain vanilla Godin SD4.

Nevertheless, the BM200 is pretty "plain" sounding, no character you might say, but is inexpensive as combos go, indestructible and has probably the best warranty out there. Keep in mind that without an extension cab, you're only getting about 150W. Not enough power to jam or gig with a loud band, but you might find it good enough in your situation. I know it's not cutting it for me anymore right now.

I'll probably sell this amp when I upgrade as it doesn't cut it for me live or in rehearsal and it's overpowered and "boring" as a practice amp.

I've done a full review at Harmony Central on this amp and I know I have posted about this amp in this forum before....search on "yorkville"....

Good luck - DD

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I should add that when I gig, I rent the yorkville 2x10 cab for extra stage volume and power (up to 185W), but I rely on a mix of signal from the DI to the PA combined with my stage volume for live sound. It's OK, but not really as tasty as I would like.....hence my desire to upgrade.

DD

7. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    yeah man thats funny i got the sd4 pro I love that bass. Hmm well i'll consider it I'm using a yamaha nathan east box right now for a preamp because it sounds pretty good. THis yorkville would be a brand new one But maybe I'll just wait and get the nemesis combo with 4 10's . thanx for your input

8. I use a Yorkville PB200 with a 115 when I rehearse with the Stage band. It sounds like a 115, which is alright for most of the Stage band rehearsals. But for shows and playing by myself I prefer smaller drivers with more punch and the improved high end of hf drivers. It is a pretty loud amp, though.

Geoff

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

10. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    I find that the godins sound good through nemesis amplifiers I know I play my BG through there and my SD PRo.. My godin does however have the active pickups. well I think because it's under 500 bucks for the amp at 200 watts and because I don't play real big I'm just looking for a clean amp which isn't gonna mess with my tone too much. I use that yamaha nE box for most tonal stuff anyway. Can anyone suggest another amp I should look at before I make my final purchase?