Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone with a Sadowsky thought about changing out the preamp to a 3-band preamp ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hands5, Nov 3, 2005.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've been thinking (HARD !) about changing out the stock 2 band preamp in my Sadowsky Metro MS5 for a Bartolini NTMB 3 band preamp just tto give it more mids. Is there anyone else here at TB that has change out the stock Sad preamp for another one.

uh oh. here comes the firing squad :bag: :bag:

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    y not just save some money and adjust the mids via ur amplifier

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  4. subtomic

subtomic

Sep 29, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe he's sending a signal direct and wants to make sure that the board is receiving a slightly mid-boosted or mid-cut signal. Alot of engineers do tend to cut the mids drastically for live sound (all the better to hear the massive bass drum sound) :(

5. whattt??? change out a Sadowsky preamp???

BLASPHEMY! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

Personally, I have 4 non-Sadowsky basses which means I have need for 4 Sadowsky preamps...:)

6. Off the subject..but one of the best way to get a good bass drum sound is to run a good bit of BG through an externally-triggered noise gate and use the attack on the kick as the trigger...gets that tight, punchy low end thing goin'

The overall live sound should be set nearly flat based on a strectrum analyser...otherwise, the crowd's ears are going to get very tired in about 10 minutes.

7. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma

Don't worry, us die-hard Mike Lull lovers will watch your back :p :D

8. I recently switched from a 3-band to a 2-band onboard preamp, and I feel it has really improved my control over the sound. Boosting mids, be it on the preamp or on the amp, usually sounds ugly to my ears. Switching to the bridge pu, or choosing an amp/speaker that has more mids by itself is usually a better solution. Or using a different bass... Not what you want to hear, is it?

9. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    not me. But, I do pretty much all of my tone control on my Sad with the pickup blend and/or the passive tone/treble roll off. Such great sounds from there, I have never needed to mess much with the boosts.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

No

I love it just the way it is. :bassist:

11. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Nope, never considered it.
    I'll sometimes boost the mids a bit on my amp.
    Another way to change the mids is the pickup blend. Favour the neck pickup to get more low mids. Favour the bridge pickup to get more high mids. Balancing the pickups sounds a bit mid shy (to my ears).

12. I have a Sadowsky outboard pre that I use on other basses...how about trying a J retro outboard (or any other for that matter) and leave the Sadowsky onboard in there and just bypass it? If you ever decided to sell it would be a lot easier than putting them back in and the pricing is not that much higher for an outboard.....Food for thought.....

Peace,

T

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Done that......... no cigar !

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Time for another bass, then.

Rob

15. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    No, but I have replaced a Bart 3-band preamp with a Sadowsky 2-band w/VTC and it was a huge improvement.

I've had a few basses with Bart 3-bands that I've liked, but they usually don't do it for me. Every bass I've had with a Sadowsky preamp totally killed.

Since I got my first Sadowsky, I've gone more in the direction of minimal EQ on the bass. I usually open up the VTC (full CW), set treble to about 40-50% boost, and then add enough bass boost to get the tone I want, which is usually around 25-30%.

I have not found myself thinking about a mids control when playing a Sadowsky.

Fortunately, it's pretty easy to swap preamps in & out, so you could definitely try it if you really want to go that route (or pay someone to do it if you need to). With Bart preamps, you should be able to get a configuration that won't require any additional drilling or mods to the bass. Just stick with the single 9v unless you have plenty of room in the cavity for a second battery.

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Can you repeat this in simpler terms please? haha. I kinda get the jyst of this but I'm looking for a nice punchy sound and i dont quite understand this. Thanks

17. Not once.. sounds great as is.

18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Nope.

However, I know Roger is working on a new Pre-Pedal (outboard) that has one channel with a mid control. Shouldn't be long before he offers it onboard.

IF he does I will try it but I love what my Sad's do already.

19. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Never thought of it. Why should one change perfection?

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, when I asked Roger about the possibility of him putting that 3-band circuit in an onboard preamp, he seemed pretty adamant about not deviating from the 2-band setup. But stranger things have happend, and I agree that it seems like a logical "evolution" to perhaps offer it as an option.

That said, I, too, find myself doing most of my "tone control" on my Sadowsky by varying the volume knobs (I opted for vol/vol, versus vol/blend) and - perhaps more importantly - my right hand position. Sadowsky's respond very well to hand placement variations.

Tom.