1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone worked through "What Duck Done"?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mikhail, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Mikhail

Mikhail

Jul 18, 2006
    I've been working on "You Don't Miss Your Water", the first song in the collection, and have found it very helpful, especially since I'm barely literate when it comes to reading music. Using Easy Beat software as a study aid, I'm learning to read better and learning the bass parts in context, using music that I've loved for decades. I'd love to read your thoughts if you have any experience with this book. Thanks!

2. JayM

JayM

Apr 4, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I think this is a great book.

The transcriptions are pretty accurate and there is enough variety to get a broad sense of Duck's work. The songs are not, however, arranged in increasing order of difficulty. Some of the later songs are easier than the earlier ones. I have the original version of the book, which has only notation (no tab) and some songs require a little experimentation to determine the best fingerings. I believe the newer version has tab as well as notation, which might make that aspect easier.

3. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    I've used it for a few tunes...like JayM says the transcriptions seem accurate. Duck is a great bass player, very underrated IMO.

Do yourself a favour though, when you've learnt a line get hold of the original and play along to that to really get the vibe going....

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It is a nice book--perhaps a bit on the basic side--for most students. However, the music is totally great, the transcriptions are good, and if it suits your level, dig in. That is a lot of fine music to really posses. Important stuff. I am a DD fan!

5. Mikhail

Mikhail

Jul 18, 2006
    Besides the recorded transcriptions, I have all of the original versions on two CD's to jam with as well. As I mentioned, I really love the music, and it'll be educational on many levels. My book is in standard notation only so I'll have to work on my reading skills, which is a good thing. I plan to study the other instruments' parts too; all in all, a study in ensemble playing, all about leaving room. Of course, it never hurts to have a lineup of incredible singers such as Stax had. That's where I'll draw the line. I'm no singer; the shower turns cold if I try to sing in there! Thanks to all for your feedback.