Has anything prevented you from playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yesterday afternoon I scalded a few of my fingers(index finger was scalded the worst) badly when I stupidly touched a really hot test tube during a chemistry lab session and I can't play my bass now because its too sore and painful. Has anything ever prevented you from playing the bass?Anything at all.

-Edit: This is the third time I'm editing my post because there are missing words and typos. Typing with only the fingers from one hand really sucks.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    lack of time... and at a few gigs/practice where I dig in way to hard, I've developed blisters so bad I had to play with a pick for a week.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Posting on damn internet forums. :)
  4. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    just broke my arm - see related post in the misc forum - "how's your year going?"

5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Snapping my ring finger at the base did me in for a few months. It also caused the collapse of a band that I never did get any momentum back for.
  6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Developing Carpal Tunnel in my fretting hand put me out for a bit. I had to take about a month off. I cheated for 5 minutes here and there but stuck with it for the most part. It forced me to make all kinds of adjustments, notably strap height, and change my technique a bit, however.
  7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Like StupidMatt, when I've played really heavy/fast stuff for a long period, my fretting hand can get a bit blistered, not so much on the tips of the fingers, but on the base of the finger and palm, from sliding around really fast. I already use a pick 75% of the time, so it's not a huge deal if my right hand is blistered (and it rarely is blistered)

This isn't so much something that happened to me (nothing broken or hurt), but I have a very hard time playing in cold weather. If my fingers get really cold, they stiffen up and I suck.

Also, my girlfriend (now my ex-). When she was over (and at points, she was over for weeks at a time), she hated it when I would want to play, rather than do stuff with her.:rolleyes:
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Back during the mid 80s carpal tunnel surgery put me out of commission for about a year.
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I was really depressed for one day after a break-up...but my bass was tehre for me the next day :D. I usually keep playing even if I get blisters.
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I cut my middle finger tendon in my fretting hand with a box cutter. They had to fish it out of my wrist and reattach it. That put me out for many months. Grim.
  11. Mike,
    What was your strap height and what is it now? I've been playing around with different heights and if I had an actual reason for one height vs. another (i.e. avoining Carpal Tunnel), it may help me out!
  12. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I broke my arm in a snow skiing crash. Out for two or three months. That was when I just played the guitar:eek:
  13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Hmm.. broke your arm, you say? Playing guitar, you say? I think there's bass player watching you from above...;)
  14. I got my left hand thumb dislocated.. I started playing again ten days later, but with the help of an orthopedic apparatus.. It hurts just to remember ir.. :(
  15. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I fractured my left thumb (fretting hand). It hurt like hell but it only stopped me playing for about a day. I just put up with the pain and resumed playing a few days later. My thumb healed well so playing bass must have helped it. :D
  16. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    my matey had a wort or was it a spot, well it was one hell of a big mother trucker and he was doin a slidei think on the start of give it away-the big long slides. And it cut his wort or spot. Well it actually ripped it off and he had a chunk of his finger misson for a while.

Has any one been affected by something called tendinitis (i think that;s how you spell it), it was in bass player and i was jus womderin if you can be affected by it and what does happen to you when you get it
  17. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Back problems, illness, and depression cause me not to be able to play every once in a while. Recurring things like that, but I push my way through, because I am always happiest with a bass in my hands. :)
  18. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Before I played anything, it took me 6 months to talk my dad into letting me get a bass since he didn't think that I was dedicated enough to stay with it. I've proved him wrong though:)
  19. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sure...lots of things.

When I was younger, playing a lot of softball left me with broken/sprained fingers. In fact, every one of them has been broken or sprained at least twice since I started playing bass.:eek:

The worst was when my old band was practicing one night. The guitarist set up his cab in front of the bass drum (which was right in my face), and the drummer had a big box fan sitting on top of it, cooling him down while he played. The vibrations of the guitar cab shook the fan right off the amp. Acting quickly, I went to grab the fan. Here's the lesson for you: fingers ARE stronger than plastic fan blades. The skin protecting the bones are NOT stronger than plastic fan blades. Nor are the nerves and tendons, which I was a fraction of a millimeter from cutting!:eek:

I was out several weeks from that incident.:bawl:
  20. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    It's a good thing I seen the light:D :D :D