1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HAS Bass Varitone - experiences ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 4Mal, Oct 1, 2008.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm playing about with one and, well it's subtle I'll give it that. I'm kinda wondering if I got a dud or if I just didn't wire it up right...

2. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Mal, I have one in my Spirit XZ-25, and it is not subtle in the least.

Did you buy the Varitone separately, or as part of a harness?

Have you been in touch with Stan? I'd start with him.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    What kind of bass did you install it in? Pickups, pots, other tone controls, that sort of thing. I have one in my EB-0, and I agree with MichaelV, its effects are very noticeable.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have one taming a hot, bright pickup and it works fine

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    OK - so maybe I'll give it another shot. I was attempting to ire it into a G&L L-1000 style tone circuit. The treble cut, bass cut style.

I'm tok that circuit out and wired in a simple Vol & tone using 250K pots and a .047 cap so a P-Bass setup essentially. Seeing as it may be that I'm just not understanding Stan's wiring instructions... How should the Varitone be wired to add it into the circuit ?

The host bass is a Samick Royale hollow body where the gut's have been stripped out, a route done and a Dark Star added in.

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I ordered mine pre wired, but I'd be happy to take a look for you when I get a chance and tell you how it's wired.

Is the G&L circuit passive or active? Because I'm not sure the Varitone would work with active...

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Good question. Actually it's both. The tone stack which is what I was copying though is passive. There is a preamp that comes before the tone stack. It provides 10 db boost or 10 db boost plus treble boost or it is out of the circuit for fully passive. So for my purposes this was just the passive side.