1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has Bootsy Collins become Keith Richards?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Peepaleep, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    If any of you have seen the Stones on the last few tours, you've sen how Keith barely plays anymore and pretty much just walks around the stage holding his guitar and smoking a cigarette. I'm not criticizing, just making an observation.

Now check out this video of Bootsy on Jimmy Fallon. Bootsy appears to just be holding the bass, playing a note or two every so often, while another bassist in the background does all the work.

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon - Bootsy Collins and The Roots: We Want The Funk (3/22/11) - Video - NBC.com

Does anyone know what's up w/Bootsy? Does he have a physical condition that has caused him to lose his chops or it is possible that he's lost the desire to play but still likes being a showman? Perhaps all of the above?

What other musicians have followed a similar path, to your knowledge?

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I don't know, It looked and sounding like he was playing plenty to me.

3. Bootsy's playing all over that thing!

Even back in the day, Parliament/Funkadelic used two bass players. It sounds like the back up bassist is playing with a 'clean' tone and doing the typical 'bass part' & Bootsy is playing with his signature effects-laded tone and playing more like a guitarist or keyboardist would do. Thats kind of what he's always done, I believe?

(I've seen the Stones within the past few years, and I noticed the same thing about Keith! lol) Though I don't think I'd put Bootsy in the same group based on this video.

4. Peepaleep

Nov 3, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    I'm seeing a lot of pointing and open-hand percussive slapping, but what I am hearing appears to be coming from the other guy. Am I completely off my rocker?

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm listening through laptop speakers. I can't hear a thing. But just by looking it seems like he's playing enough.

6. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    No he's not playing anything. It looks like he's playing some in the beginning and a little in one chorus, other than that its ALL Roots

and that open hand percussive stuff

7. I wouldn't judge anything from that vid. Seems like the other guy was holding down the groove and Bootsy was throwing out the flavor. Which is exactly what he was there to do. It's not like it was actually one of his shows or anything.

I mean he was up there with the Roots, pretty sure they had it under control and a good time was had by all.

8. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    The other bassist is indeed playing the "bass part," with all those cool swoopy downward glissandos. What I can hear of Bootsy is all treble and also some kind of filter effect... sounds like a Star Wars sound effect.

The last interview with him in Bass Player, it was pretty clear that he's all about exploring new textures using multiple effects... he sounded totally disinterested in just laying down a straight groove anymore. So it looks like he's turned over that responsibility (that he's held down for what? 40 years?), and is focusing on doing other things with his instrument.

I frankly don't care. He's Bootsy. He can do whatever the hell he wants AFAIC!

9. He is definitely playing and I can hear where the notes are missing when he stops playing around :032. As stated before the other bassist is holding down the groove and Bootsy is laying the funk over top.

10. I'm listening to the video through headphones which makes it easier to discern who's playing what. It sounds like he's got some new strings on the bass which makes it easier to pick Bootsy out from the rest.

11. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    I hear Bootsy playing plenty but what I'm really interested in is the bass Owen is playing. Anyone?

12. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    What a great phrase. ;)

13. His brother did die recently..

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    a callowhill the junk 5.

this topic is stupid. you're going to try to boil down the alleged demise of bootsy based on a 2 minute clip of him playing on the jimmy fallon show? absolutely ridiculous.

GregC likes this.
  15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Freakin' word. Bootsy... Man, do not mess with BootZilla. He is off limits!

16. Peepaleep

Nov 3, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    Jimmy - FromTheBassMent posted some useful info - "The last interview with him in Bass Player, it was pretty clear that he's all about exploring new textures using multiple effects... he sounded totally disinterested in just laying down a straight groove anymore. So it looks like he's turned over that responsibility (that he's held down for what? 40 years?), and is focusing on doing other things with his instrument."

And from that I can take it that he's more interested in adding color and detail to the sound rather than playing the bassline. That's what I was going for, bro - not much else.

I've got a couple of friends who over the course of the past twenty years can no longer play like they used to because of physical conditions. Their playing has become more rudimentary and "solid" and to my ear, they have never sounded better. What's wrong with thinking that Bootsy might actually be human and might be going through something similar?

Glad to hear that's not the case and that it's just him exploring other sounds.

17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    He was probably in shock and couldn't go to town on account of Jimmy Fallon getting that close to him.

18. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Apparently you don't look at the right hand of the bass player- Bootsy is slapping through most of the song, then palming a drum like rhythm on the outtro on all four strings.

The other guy is playing too- pizzicato melodic basslines- I'd say they compliment each other well.

19. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I just wish the sousaphone guy would go away.. Bootys sound was brighter.. you could hear it at the end.. he was doing more fill stuff than holding it down. .he did a great job i thought.

20. I could have sworn in his last bass player interview, he said since he moved to using the warwick a lot for recording he isn't using many effects and is focusing on the straight bass sound.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021