1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has eBay Japan a problem of currency conversion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Glazenn, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    I often see basses on eBay Japan that are priced way higher than the rest of the world...
    This discontinued Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass V commonly sells for $300 or less in North America and Europe.
    Squier electric bass SQ VM P BASS V CAR 885978322510 | eBay
    I just bought the very same one for $269 used in France. So why is it 10 times more (incl. $280 shipping + excl. customs fees) if bought from Japan? What is the problem?

Woofer likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Greed?

Glazenn likes this.
  3. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

You see all kinds of crazy prices on eBay, you can search by sold items which gives you a better idea of what people generally pay for them

Glazenn likes this.
  4. Fretless370

Fretless370 Fretless AND Headless

Dec 1, 2015
    That has been a mystery for me for some time now :facepalm:. Their prices are always at least double it seems. It's like they think Americans are stupid and will buy at any price. Like we don't know how, or are too lazy to compare prices. For me, it's insulting :rage:. I really wish there was a setting on evilbay, in your user account, that you could go to and click so you wouldn't have to look at their listings, ever, if you decided to. The only thing available is the little box "US Only" in the search criteria but, if you start another search, low and behold, the ridiculous listings are back. You have to click that US only button for EVERY friggin' search. Talk about evilbay shoving it down your throat :poop:.

bdgotoh and Glazenn like this.
  5. Fretless370

Fretless370 Fretless AND Headless

Dec 1, 2015
    A good example is the base/budget model Sterling Ray4. $299 shipped here in the states, $500-$600 Japn with HIGH shipping/fees....:spit:

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The one that gets me is they can have 5 or 6 different sellers selling (apparently) the exact same bass at wildly different prices - I've been interested in a "blue jeans" metallic teal Yamaha SB-5A Flying Samurai, identical pictures were used in multiple ads concurrently with prices varying by almost $1000. I chose the least expensive one, but I'm somewhat nervous about whether I'll get the actual bass pictured. We'll see, should be here Friday if tracking is to be believed. Even after I bought it, the other sellers' auctions are still up as if it's still available. :cautious:

BadWithNames likes this.
  7. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Prices are much higher for almost everything in Japan. The listings we see aren't specifically aimed at the US and other countries. It's just what an imported item sells for there. To see a worthwhile comparison look at Japanese prices on MIJ basses vs the same MIJ bass here.

kodiakblair likes this.
  8. I was gonna mention exactly that. Importing things is always more expensive, probably moreso to an island where living space in large cities comes at a bit of a premium.

9. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    Looking at Ishibashi Music basses on the link below, I don't find prices differ significantly between US and Japan ...
    (approx. JPY100 = US$0.95).
    http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/eubox.php?T=gazo&sort=&key=&or8=32&value4=&value5=&categorycd=

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have absolutely no problem with it.

Glazenn likes this.
  11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!

I have contacted some of those, and they reply saying they are a group of affiliated stores, all posting the same item. Usually I have seen them where the actual end price is the same ( one offers "free" shipping with the cost bundled in accordingly...)

I agree a lot of these Japanese sellers are content to sit on their over-priced wares for a LONG time ( I have seen numerous basses that relist for more than a year) Strange that in such a small crowded country they wouldn't want to move that stock, but seems there is no premium on storage space for basses!