1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has everyone heard about the King Crimson reformation? Tony Levin + three drummers?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Red Four, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Red Four

Red Four

Apr 4, 2011
    Missouri
    17-date US tour in September & October. Details here: http://dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4670

A really unusual lineup. I'm planning to see them in Madison, WI. Really have no idea what to expect, but I would say that perfectly fits the Crimson ethos!

Anyone else have thoughts on this, or planning to catch one of these shows?

By the way, if you're not already familiar with the web site I linked to above (DGMLive), I highly recommend it. Tons of old Crimson live shows available for purchase/download there, so much amazing material with bassists like Levin, John Wetton (his Crimson playing is astounding, if you've never heard it), Boz Burrell, and Greg Lake. Great, great stuff.

10cc and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    two night in Chicago at the end of September. Plan on going both nights

rtav and Red Four like this.
  3. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Going to the San Fran show with my girlfriend, who happens to live Crimson. Don't meet many girls like that.

Red Four and GM60466 like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've found it best not to question Robert Fripp...just let him go and see what wild stuff he comes up with.

5. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    At the Vic!

I am there.

Red Four likes this.
  6. Red Four

Red Four

Apr 4, 2011
    Missouri
    You certainly don't! I was fairly amazed to find that my now-wife quite enjoyed the Wetton-period Crimson, especially the live stuff I played for her. It's unlike anything else she likes, but the power of it is pretty undeniable. But I'll still be going to this show solo. :)

7. kzr750r1

kzr750r1

Aug 12, 2011
    NorCal
    Now this is a tease. Just ripped through Tony's blog and he's not mentioning what they are rehersing. Judging from the tour mantra... Past, Present and Future??? King Crimson Jam night?? Would have been cool if Adrian was with them as well, Discipline is an awsome LP.

Red Four likes this.
  8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Hmm. 5 dates close by. I'm certainly going to try to catch at least one.

9. Mark Plays Bass

Mark Plays Bass Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    I'm going the second night in New York City. Very eager to hear what it will be!

Red Four likes this.
  10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Back in September, when Fripp announced this new incarnation of KC, he gave two clues about what to expect: (1) He was envisioning the three drummers as the "front line," with the other musicians as the "back line," and (2) they will be playing "reconfigured" versions of existing KC material, rather than writing new material. He also noted that there are no plans to go into the studio.

Not sure how much that really answers the what-to-expect question, but if Fripp thinks it is a good idea I'll be there to find out....

qersty and Red Four like this.
  11. Red Four

Red Four

Apr 4, 2011
    Missouri
    Are you glued to the DGMLive updates the same way I am? :)

12. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Ha! I was "glued" there for awhile last Fall, when the info first started coming out about the new band, but since then I've mostly relied on a buddy who follows it closely and keeps me apprised of important developments. Fortunately he was paying attention last week when tour dates and ticket sales were announced, which enabled us to score a pair for both nights in Philadelphia! What are friends for, eh?

Red Four likes this.
  13. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    I'm a huge KC fan (tats and all) and was soooooo stoked for this until I found out no Belew. 30+ years in KC and Fripp doesn't even call him - just an email. I won't be supporting this tour although I'm curious.

10cc likes this.
  14. FourNotFive

FourNotFive Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Ohio
    Wow. Cool. May have to pilgrimage up to Chicago for this. I see Bill Rieflin is one of the drummers. Not the first guy I'd expect to play with Crimson, but then again I've seen him play two drummer sets with Ministry and Pigface with Martin Atkins so that wouldn't be new to him.

Agree that Belew would be cool, but it's not like he was in the band all along anyway...

15. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Yeah I know I'm being a baby but he's been with them since like '81 and he's amazing. Only sub I would have support would be John Wetton :)

16. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    Fripp doesn't really like drummers, so of course he's leading with three of them this time. Typical!

Also humorous: On the announcement site I read about this on, there was a ridiculous amount of hate. Some of it was legit for not including Belew, but there were other people saying they would never support a version of KC that didn't include Greg Lake! Talk about living in the past!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't see it written where Adrian is owed a living by Fripp.

Fat Steve likes this.
  18. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Everyone needs to calm down about the no-Belew thing. Adrian has made clear in multiple interviews that he's fine with it, and that he has a full plate anyway, and I believe him. Fripp obviously wants this newest incarnation of KC to be (again) completely different from everything that has come before, and it seems to me that this would not be possible with Belew in the lineup: His playing and his singing are just too distinctive for the new band to not sound like Belew-era KC.

My attitude is that whatever it is that Fripp has cooked up here, I'm going to check out (maybe twice) and just try to accept on its own terms. I might love it, or I might hate it, but goddammit I'm going to experience it!

Hawkbone likes this.
  19. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I saw that announcement, and I remember thinking, Who "goes into the studio" anymore ? With an act the caliber of KC rehearsals and concerts are almost always recorded to multitrack anyhow. Given how fruitful the KC archives have been in terms of providing high quality Beat The Boots releases over the past 20+ years, I think it's a safe bet they eventually release something from the 2014 line-up.

20. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Oh, sure -- no doubt. I certainly didn't mean to imply that his no-plans-to-go-into-the-studio comment meant that there would be no recordings. I actually interpreted it as more or less an extension of the idea that they would not be writing new material.