1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has Jim Carrey simply lost his mind?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Suspended Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK, I'm worried that Jim Carrey will be the next Robin Williams. He is just babbling whenever he talks lately. He is making no sense whatsoever. He doesn't seem drugged or even drunk. He just seems......lost......down.

He needs to go buy an island and live on it for a while. Come back when you cheer up, Jim. Sure, you're a clown in real terms. And I'm sure that gets old. But just own it. Don't take yourself, or life in general, too seriously. Cheer up, big guy. Go paint some happy trees (supposedly he's a good painter).

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Comedians are probably the most depressed group of people in our society. I am never surprised when one of them seems depressed. That being said, I'm sure Jim hasn't been too thrilled since they started investigating his ex-girlfriend's death. Since he is famous, I doubt they'll charge him but it is something to consider.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Worse things have happened, really.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I don't know, I wasn't ever sure he was ever really in full control of his mind, that was kind of the whole point, no? Hard to tell how much was just the act...

MJ5150 likes this.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Same here. He was always a bit odd on and off the screen in my opinion.
    I find it challenging to deal with people like that, always joking/acting up/trying to be funny/etc. It's nice and all to have that in your life, but not so much that you can't hardly tell who you're dealing with at any given moment.

-Mike

6. Carrey seems to be channeling Andy Kauffman who was fun-weird but I never really
    cared for the the whole "It's so stupid it's funny" schtick.
    As for Jim's foray into the existential, I hope he has lots of money in the bank because weird-weird doesn't sell.

two fingers likes this.
  7. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Hell if I lost Lauren Holly as my wife I would go nuts too. She gets hotter as she gets older.

Tbone76 likes this.
  8. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    If you're referring to the interview for Fashion Week then I don't see the problem. His behaviour went along perfectly with the silliness of the fashion world and I'm pretty sure that was the point.

James Hart and maxmaroon like this.
  9. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I once did a tour with Just For Laughs and one of the comedians told me that behind most comedy was a lot of suffering. Talking with the comedians on the tour I could very easily see why such a thing would be said.

yodedude2 likes this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Suspended Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Going to an event to make a point opposite of that of the event is one thing. But he just wasn't making any sense.

Besides, I'm a shorts and T-shirt kinda guy, but what do I Carr if a bunch of rich people wanna dress funny and take pictures of each other? It's nothing to get mad about.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, you know how the story goes -

A patient goes to a psychologist's office. He says, "I don't know what's the matter with me. I feel so sad all the time. Nothing seems meaningful. My life seems so pointless. I can't get the energy together to get excited about anything. What should I do, doctor?"

The psychologist says, "I know just the thing. The famous clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go to the circus, watch his show. He'll make you laugh and you'll feel much better."

"But doctor," the patient says, "I am Pagliacci."

murphy, maxmaroon, Aberdumbie and 3 others like this.
  12. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah but chances are you don't live in world as vapid as Hollywood. ;)

47th Street likes this.
  13. If he is losing his mind, it will be a short trip.

Did you ever see the movie, Man On The Moon?

Tbone76 and 47th Street like this.
  14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Was Jim Carrey ever even funny to begin with?

P. Aaron, Skybone and JohnDeereJack like this.
  15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    He had his moments.

But even off screen he was cordial and seemed happy. Not these days. He's gone to a very dark place.

16. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    No.

But he was good in the movie "The Majestic".

17. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Virtually every big time celebrity these days has "handlers." They likely don't have much say about what happens in their lives if they want the big fat checks to keep rolling in. I'm sure many wake up in the morning astonished at what their Twitter feeds had been saying the night before.

18. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    When Ace Ventura "when nature calls" first came out it was my son and mine absolute favorite movie... for a good 5 years. We still quote lines from it. :) "This is how they know you."

Tbone76 and blue4 like this.
  19. D_Bag

D_Bag

Feb 8, 2013
    Lawrence, KS
    Cocaine.

20. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Carrey has suffered from clinical depression for many years. If it was as easy to "cheer up" as you suggest, no one would be depressed. Clinical depression is a serious illness and it's difficult to live with and difficult to be around.

Carrey has chosen to abandon taking his prescribed medication that is supposed to treat his depression because of the negative side effects. Knowing what I know about the subject, I don't blame him for his decision. Some of these medications are genuinely worse than the disease and will make your life even more intolerable. Whether or not he's better off without the medicine is difficult to determine, but it's ultimately his decision. Incidentally, Carrey has also chosen to eliminate all drugs and other mind altering substances from his life, including caffeine.

I wish him the best.