Has Matt Mundy recorded with anyone besides ARU?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jun 26, 2001.

1. My question is on mandolin player, Matt Mundy, formerly of the Aquarium Rescue Unit. I really liked his playing on ARU's live album. I've tried searching the net but I can't seem to find info on him. Has he played on any other albums?

(There, I managed to sneak this into 'Recordings' without being off topic;))
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Matt's story is pretty murky and kind of sad, too. He apparently had some type of breakdown or something and just pawned his mandolins and quit the music business entirely. Jimmy Herring (ARU's guitarist) said in an interview I read once that Matt is working construction and won't be coaxed back into gigging again. Sad thing...the guy was a major talent.

In a related note, I played in a country band with a guy here in my town who's done lots of gospel bluegrass sessions with Matt before and while he was in ARU. Maybe that'll help you find something on him.

He also played on ARU's "Mirrors Of Embarrassment". What a band that was!
  3. That is sad. :(I had no idea. The guy could seriously play and make things really interesting.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've recently picked up an album called See The Sun by The Count M'Butu Orchestra...it's dated @2000. Mundy plays on TWO tracks(BTW, Herring, the Burbridge brothers, Jeff Sipe, Rev. Oliver Wells, etc are also on this disc).
    Bass Player mag reviewed this disc a couple months ago & I ordered it(@www.towerrecords.com)...a lotta Latin/Funk in a quasi-Pop muisc vibe on this disc(w/ a female vocalist, too).
  5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Hey that's cool! Maybe he's back in action. Man, I'd love to see Oteil and Sipe back together again. I know they had a reunion show not too long ago...I got a bootleg cd of it from a friend, but no Mundy.
  6. wincus

Jan 1, 2014
    Followed ARU through university days 1989+, and was watching Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile, thus prompted to check whether Matt returned from his departure. The above helps but it remains unclear if/where today.
  7. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Endorsing: Epifani
    All he does is play at his mom's church now. Sipe tells me he still is killin but chooses not to perform out with ARU for personal reasons. Supposedly he smashed his very expensive mandolin at some point out of frustration! But regardless he played some stuff with ARU that was a moment in time and is imo one of the greatest mandolinists on the planet!