Has my Truss Rod Snapped?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nicoli, Jun 15, 2004.

1. I just pulled my Yamaha off the stand and got about 2 bars into a song before I realized something was horribly wrong with the action. Upon further investigation, my truss rod was sticking out the bottom of the neck about a 1/4" - 1/2" inch and was also very easy to move from side to side. Normally, it's about 1/4" - 1/2" up into the neck so this is obviously not good.

I slackened the strings off to the point where they're now pretty much lying on the fretboard, and gave it a couple clockwise turns (a lot I know, but it's out *a lot* right now). The rod still moves a fair bit from side to side although not quite as easily as before the couple turns I gave it. I've left the strings slack for now as I'm not sure what's wrong with it and if the rod is totalled I figure this is the best way to avoid permanent warping of the neck...

Do you think the rod has snapped somewhere? Or is it possible that it could've just slipped? I lent it out Saturday night so I suppose it could've been dropped or something... Thanks, any information or advice is muchly appreciated.
  2. If it came out, it's broken. An adjustable truss rod is anchored at one end of the neck, and is adjustable at the other end. For it to be sliding around or loosely sticking out of the end something has got to be catastrophically wrong.
  3. Son of a... alright, so what are my repair options? :crying:
  4. Depends on the construction of the neck. If it's a dual-action rod with an active rod, then a repair person could theoretically just remove the fretboard, remove the rod, clean the channel, install a new rod, installa new fretboard, and re-fret. Not a cheap repair by any means.... but a basic overview of what is done.

If it's a vintage style trussrod, I would imagine the repair would start with the removal of the skunkstripe and then the broken rod, clean and true up any areas to bring in structural stability, install and anchor new rod, fashion new skunk stripe, shape to match original contour, finish work... etc.

Either repair is not cheap or easy, but both doable, if the bass is worth it to you to justify cost.

edit: judging by the model, you would spend more to repair than to replace. Look out on EBay for a replacement neck. I'll keep my eyes open.

Good luck, sorry to hear about this.
  5. Thanks for the replies guys, I was really afraid that was going to be the answer... I guess at least I made the right decision by letting the beater bass leave the house that night and not my main axe. Still sucks big time though as it was a very capable backup and sounded good for some applications, not to mention how light it is for those nights with 5 sets... bah! :crying:

Well, I've got a friend who has built a few instruments for himself and another one of my friends, I'll let him take a look at it on Thursday night and see if he thinks he could salvage it for cheap, although I'm guessing he'd want to go the new neck route too.
  6. That's the beauty of bolt on necks. Imagine if you had a Rickenbacker or a Thunderbird. Ouch. Good luck!

You just might want to check with a repair place before you throw in the towel on this thing.
  7. elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

that{s why rics have removable truss rods. You break it, you replace it right at home.

8. I agee 100% with Golden Boy.

nicoli, before you do anything take your bass to a Good tech and get an estimate, see if it's worth fixing. If not, you may want to look for a new neck.

I would be talking with the person I lent the bass to and see what they have to say about the damages, after all you did state the bass was fine and could have been dropped. Make your friend liable for half of the repair cost (at least half) if not the entire amount. You were kind enough to loan him/her the bass, they should be kind enough to take responsibility for their actions regarding the care of this instrument.

9. Thanks guys, I'll try to get an estimate from a tech if my friend looks at it and can't do anything with it short of a major overhaul. When I emailed him he seemed to think it would be a tough job.

The damage ocurred (I assume anyway) during a big jam session Saturday night. I ended up playing drums for most of it and there were more than a few people who used the bass. There was a good 20+ musicians in the room so it's tough to accuse anyone directly... there were only about 4 people going when I bowed out of it around 2:30am though so I suppose asking them if anything happened would be a good start...
  10. Removable truss rods? I'm not familiar with that. The only way I could think of replacing the truss rods in a Ric would be to remove the fingerboard. Hardly operator level maintenance.
  11. Well I had to take an amp into the repair tech today so I brought the bass along and got them to take a look at it.

They figured it'd just slipped off the end of the threads due to being loosened off too much. I could be guilty as charged on that one, as I've been using light-ish gauge strings setup for downtuning. I suppose that and a bump on the weekend could've caused it to slip off?

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the shape of the neck over the next few days and see how it goes, keep your fingers crossed.